Cameroo

New Guy's Stuff

Hey guys, I've been lurking here for a few weeks and figured maybe I should introduce myself and show some of my work. My name is Cam and I took up leatherworking as a hobby almost 2 years ago. I got into traditional archery, making longbows, and decided that making archery accessories was the next logical step. I started learning to tool and carve leather on some arm guards, and have since made quivers, knife sheaths, pouches, etc. Seems I do more leatherworking now than archery related stuff. Anyway, here are some pictures.

A quiver and arm guard

P1010826.jpg

More Arm Guards

P1010667.jpg

P1010430.jpg

P1010503.jpg

P1100211.jpg

Some knife sheaths

P1020520.jpg

A pouch for a compass

P1020606s.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Nice stuff and welcome to the forum.

Can you tell me how you formed that compass pouch?

Thanks. Kevin.

Hey guys, I've been lurking here for a few weeks and figured maybe I should introduce myself and show some of my work. My name is Cam and I took up leatherworking as a hobby almost 2 years ago. I got into traditional archery, making longbows, and decided that making archery accessories was the next logical step. I started learning to tool and carve leather on some arm guards, and have since made quivers, knife sheaths, pouches, etc. Seems I do more leatherworking now than archery related stuff. Anyway, here are some pictures.

A quiver and arm guard

P1010826.jpg

More Arm Guards

P1010667.jpg

P1010430.jpg

P1010503.jpg

P1100211.jpg

Some knife sheaths

P1020520.jpg

A pouch for a compass

P1020606s.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Really nice things Cam, thanks for showing us. Cheryl

Thanks Cheryl and Kevin.

I formed the damp leather around a wood block that I made on a table router. It took quite a bit of poking and proding with my fingers to get the leather wrapped around the corners nicely. Then I cut out a cavity into a piece of foam I had laying around and set it on top to hold the shape till it dried a bit. This was my first attempt at formed leather, and I was quite happy with how it turned out. Here are a few more pics if you're interested.

P.S. - Kevin, can you tell me how to get rid of the USA flag by my name? I can't find anywhere in my profile settings to change my country. Thanks!

P1020587s.jpg

P1020609s.jpg

P1020607s.jpg

P1020611s.jpg

http://leatherworker...showtopic=32648

contact Johanna, she can do it.

Thanks for the detailed description and pictures.

Kevin.

Edited by Tree Reaper

Well done! I really like your work!

Edited by Jaymack

I'll have to router out a piece of cedar, make a matching insert for it minus the thickness of leather, put the leather in the cut out portion, place the matching block on top then clamp the two together.

I think it might work.

Edited by Tree Reaper

Well, I got half the form made today and I'll try and make the other half tomorrow.

post-19342-070094700 1326926433_thumb.jp

Well, I got half the form made today and I'll try and make the other half tomorrow.

Cool, let me know how it works out for you.

Roger that.

I'll get the leather and the insert together and then put the entire thing in a vise and let it dry.

It should work.

Cool, let me know how it works out for you.

Roger that.

I'll get the leather and the insert together and then put the entire thing in a vise and let it dry.

It should work.

Just don't leave it too long, I had the foam over the top of mine for less than 24 hrs and it was already starting to grow some mildew on the wood.

I have the leather in the form now and I'll check it after six hours and we'll see what we have.

Well, six hours is up.

post-19342-053611300 1327014809_thumb.jp

post-19342-077430900 1327014815_thumb.jp

post-19342-041010700 1327014822_thumb.jp

Well, six hours is up.

I would have to say that turned out pretty good! I also like the wood grain stamped into the leather. Gives me lots of idears...

I have to say I am happy with the results.

It was like baking a cake, just sit back and let it happen.

You can even drop or glue a design in the bottom and let the leather pick it up.

It was easy to trim and once it completely dries I'll sand it closer to the edge.

I would have to say that turned out pretty good! I also like the wood grain stamped into the leather. Gives me lots of idears...

post-19342-042837100 1327031749_thumb.jp

Sweet. I personally wouldn't trim it much more until after the stitching. I glued mine to the back piece before I punched the holes and stitched it, so the extra material around the edge gave me something to glue up. After I stitched mine, I trimmed it up and ran the edges over a belt sander to even-up the two layers and smooth them out before using an edge beveller to round the corners a bit.

There's always more than one way to skin a cat, but this is what worked for me. Good luck!

The edges are good to go it's just the opening needs a little dressing.

Sweet. I personally wouldn't trim it much more until after the stitching. I glued mine to the back piece before I punched the holes and stitched it, so the extra material around the edge gave me something to glue up. After I stitched mine, I trimmed it up and ran the edges over a belt sander to even-up the two layers and smooth them out before using an edge beveller to round the corners a bit.

There's always more than one way to skin a cat, but this is what worked for me. Good luck!

Welcome Cameroo!

I don't know if you remember, but you sent me your quiver pattern last year (Saw it on pirates of archery)! It was my second leather project ever! Just wanted to say thanks again and show ya what I did with it:

6729119683_34e1a5f3e9_z.jpg

6729119663_e02f2789f8_z.jpg

6729119627_50f38090b2_z.jpg

Wow, I love it! Thanks for sharing. I remember seeing pictures of it with the tooling started, but it's nice to see it finished up. Good work!!

I like your work. I also am a longbow archer. And like yourself I make quite a bit of archery equipment. Some is modern and some is medieval based. I just finished a 14th century bolt quiver to match my medieval crossbow. Next is to replace my old Hastings quiver with a new one. It never ends does it?

I like your use of color.

Wow, I'm super in love with your work!

I've just started tooling leather, maybe a month ago... I want to give a go at a bigger project and being an avid outdoorsmen and bowhunter, I've decided to make a quiver. I don't shoot traditional yet but for now I wouldn't mind making one for my compund. I'm doin all my research on it now as far as the "mold" of the quiver and how I may want it designed. I was curious did you just start from scratch on getting the shape of your quiver or did you learn off a source (book,Internet, magizine, etc...)? Just curious where I should start, any pointers are GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

god bless

I'm really liking those quivers, great job.

Wow, I'm super in love with your work!

I've just started tooling leather, maybe a month ago... I want to give a go at a bigger project and being an avid outdoorsmen and bowhunter, I've decided to make a quiver. I don't shoot traditional yet but for now I wouldn't mind making one for my compund. I'm doin all my research on it now as far as the "mold" of the quiver and how I may want it designed. I was curious did you just start from scratch on getting the shape of your quiver or did you learn off a source (book,Internet, magizine, etc...)? Just curious where I should start, any pointers are GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

god bless

Hey, thanks for the feedback. Modern or "traditional" - doesn't matter, it's all fun! To answer your questions, I came up with my own pattern, based on similar ones that I've seen before. I did a bit of a build-along for this quiver on another website that might help you out with some ideas. here's a link to it: http://www.primitive...ic,25363.0.html

Since making that one, I've tried my hand at making and using a quiver similar to those used by the Plains Indians, and it has become my favorite type of quiver to date. That one can be seen here: http://www.primitive...ic,32010.0.html

If you need any specific answers I'll do what I can to help :)