Urshag

Leather Mug Lining - Paraffin Wax?

I am currently following Angster's great tutorial on leather mug making. I am wondering, instead of using beeswax and brewer's pitch if I could use paraffin wax for both the soaking and for the lining?

Anyone with any thoughts or experience with paraffin wax?

Dennis

Paraffin is pretty dangerous to work with around fire. I'd seal it with straight beeswax if you don't want to mix things - just don't put hot beverages in it.

I know some people who have hardened leather armor with paraffin, but never a drinking vessel.

Edited by hivemind

Paraffin is pretty dangerous to work with around fire. I'd seal it with straight beeswax if you don't want to mix things - just don't put hot beverages in it.

I know some people who have hardened leather armor with paraffin, but never a drinking vessel.

Well, I've had a mug from a company called Ye Dragon and Unicorn for 10 years and they claim that they use paraffin wax. Here is the page:

https://3harpiesltd.net/dandu/history.php

I'm just curious if anyone else has tried it and has any pointers. :)

Dennis

Personally I've not used parrafin for mugs, although I'd think it'd be ok since parrafin is used in canning and such. The only thing I can think of is for a lining, parrafin seems like it would be fairly brittle. The mugs I have for personal use tend to see a lot of abuse. I imagine if I weren't using the wax/pitch blend, which is a tad more forgiving, I'd have developed cracks in the seal. However, this is something that's easily fixed, so don't know how much it applies.

I'd say give it a try and if it works for you, then have at it.

Personally I've not used parrafin for mugs, although I'd think it'd be ok since parrafin is used in canning and such. The only thing I can think of is for a lining, parrafin seems like it would be fairly brittle. The mugs I have for personal use tend to see a lot of abuse. I imagine if I weren't using the wax/pitch blend, which is a tad more forgiving, I'd have developed cracks in the seal. However, this is something that's easily fixed, so don't know how much it applies.

I'd say give it a try and if it works for you, then have at it.

Hmmm... well I found a link for a paraffin wax that has melting point of 163 degrees Fahrenheit. It's 10 pounds for $16.95. (http://cart.candlesupply.com/product.php?productid=18818&cat=479&page=1) At that price I think it's worth a shot. I just wish I could find Brewer's Pitch at a cheaper price than $14.00 a pound as Jas Townsend. (http://jas-townsend.com/product_info.php?products_id=373)

I'll give it a go and let everyone know how it works when I finally do it. :)

Dennis

Myself and at least 1 other in the SCA are using single filtered bees wax. Also, beware of using wood for bottoms (especially pine). We are using wet formed leather for bottoms.:deadsubject:

I am currently following Angster's great tutorial on leather mug making. I am wondering, instead of using beeswax and brewer's pitch if I could use paraffin wax for both the soaking and for the lining?

Anyone with any thoughts or experience with paraffin wax?

Dennis

I have made many mugs and have used 50% parrafin and 50% beeswax. This way the beeswax wont melt down it hot weather. Plus I even use my jack for coffee in the morning and have to have any issues with it.

I generally wax the outside of it pretty well, then seal the inside with a few layers of envirotex.

Historically, pitch and beeswax would be used in creating a seal. Pitch is quite brittle but mixed with beeswax it´s perfect for flasks and mugs.

A good example is the leather flask from Mary Rose, a carrack-type warship of King Henry VIII.

More info here:

http://leatherworkingreverend.wordpress.com/2010/11/10/mary-rose-leather-gallery/