ashleyuk

Is This A Rolled Hem ?

Hello all.

Just wondering if any of you can tell me if this is what you call a rolled hem?

20120904_130044.jpg

20120904_130125.jpg

20120904_130146.jpg

It is on a thick leather glove.

How is this done ? On a walking foot machine with an attatchment ?

Thanks in advance

A

Hi Ashley

It looks like it may be a rolled hem to me..

I could also be very wrong and it could really be a bound edge..lol

But on the off chance that I'm not.. :) then there's a 'sticky post' above your posting, that was done by Kevin King, called 'KK Tutorial' and that shows how its done..

Oh and I've just looked again, at the sticky postings..there's also a posting by JustKate on rolled edges, which also refers to the KK Tutorial..

so there's two different ways of doing them, posted in this part of the forum..

Hope that helps ;)

Someone knowledgeable, feel free to step in.. :)

Edited by Horrrk

Hello,

Thanks for that.

I could be worng BUT i think it looks like it is done on a machine by running a strip of leather into it,where it rolls.it and sew it ,because if you look very closely you can see stitchining on the rolled.edge inside the actual crease.

I also have another glove that has a similiar edging on the cuff ,here are some pictures of that one

Thanks

A

post-32715-048303300 1346768637_thumb.jp

post-32715-059861500 1346768663_thumb.jp

It appears to be an upholstery technique called a piped edge. Basically a cord is captured in a narrow strip of leather then the raw edges are lined up with the edges of the seam allowance then it's sewn tight to the piping... then the seam allowance is trimmed in a graduated manner to reduce bulk.

The edge is rolled over and sewn fairly close to the edge, that is the inside layer of the glove.

The overlay or top layer is sewn right next to the first stitching but not over it. Makes a very serviceable and wear resistant edge.

ferg

Hello all.

Just wondering if any of you can tell me if this is what you call a rolled hem?

20120904_130044.jpg

20120904_130125.jpg

20120904_130146.jpg

It is on a thick leather glove.

How is this done ? On a walking foot machine with an attatchment ?

Thanks in advance

A

The edge is rolled over and sewn fairly close to the edge, that is the inside layer of the glove.

The overlay or top layer is sewn right next to the first stitching but not over it. Makes a very serviceable and wear resistant edge.

ferg

Ferg,

Thanks for that.

Is a special type of foot used? the roll is quite hard, I would imagine a standard foot would be trying to drop off the side all the time ( and be quite fiddly trying to keep it just catching the edge like this is sewn) .Also I would have thought the needle would break or get bent?

Thanks

A

You use a cording foot. They come in different sizes for different sizes of cord. The foot has a groove in the bottom that rides over the cord and material that is wrapped around the cord. Look at the cuff on the glove. The top piece of material is only 2 or 3 inches toward the palm. It is also sewn at the palm but not often with a cord at that pointThe needle is guided into the space at the side of the cord.

This is possibly a better than average quality glove, cheaper would not have the cord.

ferg

1346775816[/url]' post='263105']

Ferg,

Thanks for that.

Is a special type of foot used? the roll is quite hard, I would imagine a standard foot would be trying to drop off the side all the time ( and be quite fiddly trying to keep it just catching the edge like this is sewn) .Also I would have thought the needle would break or get bent?

Thanks

A