Tio

My attempt to enter the machine sewing world

57 minutes ago, Tio said:

I just bought a new Tippmann Boss

What was the deciding factor to buy the Boss over the Outlaw?

kgg

3 hours ago, kgg said:

What was the deciding factor to buy the Boss over the Outlaw?

kgg

Mostly price.  I went back and forth between the Tandy Pro Outlaw and the Tippmann Boss Deluxe Package.  The Boss was $500 cheaper delivered.  Tandy, being in Texas had to charge sales tax.  My largest project would be a pancake gun holster and I think the Boss will handle that just fine.

6 hours ago, Tio said:

Well, I just bought a new Tippmann Boss!  I think it will be perfect for my needs.  I'll post pics when I get it setup.

Congrats Tio. Very excited for you!

Finally got the new machine set up!

9DDDF218-58EA-4CE6-9C39-49986C6CB883.jpeg

Got stitch length set, but bottom stitches were not pulling up

72A45332-48B0-4254-B714-52CBE8F04CC6.jpeg

Tinkered with the top tension for about 5 minutes and the crooked stitch line has no knot showing!  2 pieces of 8-10 oz.  I think I’m going to really like this machine.

FC7E9FD9-DCE6-48B4-8632-C992F207A39E.jpeg

Top side 

B702D867-0115-4791-A79F-89642BAC772A.jpeg

Beautiful machine! Looks like fun. Happy for you.:)

I just went back and read your title "My attempt to enter the machine world"...  Well it looks like you have arrived!

Edited by suzelle

2 hours ago, suzelle said:

Beautiful machine! Looks like fun. Happy for you.:)

I just went back and read your title "My attempt to enter the machine world"...  Well it looks like you have arrived!

Thanks Suzelle.  I get a little better each time I use the powered machine.  I hope the same holds for the Boss.

4 hours ago, Tio said:

Thanks Suzelle.  I get a little better each time I use the powered machine.  I hope the same holds for the Boss.

You will be THE BOSS!!! Yes, you will get better - keep on sewi'n! I like that you are able to build stuff and improvise. Save a few bucks here, then move up and spend a little more when you can. The important thing is to start somewhere, right? 

Earlier in the week, I was sewing two 6 foot very humungous zippers into a boat cover - well, my last thread guide (before the needle) got damaged. Not sure exactly how it happened but I think the huge zipper pull must have come in contact with it when the needle was going up and down. There was shredded thread and a broken thread guide! I ordered a new part right away but it won't be until next week , but my machine wasn't going to sew another thing without it. So I was facing down time and I have an entire boat load of cushions to do for the same boat. So I thought I'd try fashioning my own thread guide out of a paper clip. I went through (4) mangled paper clips before I gave up on that idea.... then the thought of forming a thread guide out of a thick piece of thread entered my head. Whallah! That worked! I have been sewing with that same little fix all week! LOL. My stitches looked just as good as they did with the official "Juki" thread guide. LOL. I've been sewing zippers, piping, foam, mulitiple layers of marine vinyl, no hiccups!!!!

Edited by suzelle

First project sewn on the Boss.

2C88891F-4DAF-47A9-8CB1-00F28F9F06FC.jpeg

Back side.  I am going to really like this machine.  Took less than 5 minutes to stitch this up.

AC8F710C-849D-43CB-9D38-20470F2AF662.jpeg

@Tio I would try loosening the bobbin spring by about 1/4 turn and try that on the same weight leather and thread. It looks to be pulling in down well on top so the bobbin tension is where I would be looking.

15 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

@Tio I would try loosening the bobbin spring by about 1/4 turn and try that on the same weight leather and thread. It looks to be pulling in down well on top so the bobbin tension is where I would be looking.

Thanks Rocky.  I will give that a go.