I Haven’t made a total fail in a while…

I think I got in trouble because of the unique dimensions of this pistol - which has “suppressor height” sights, and a threaded barrel —- really added a lot more width than I was planning on. And it’s a fairly big semi-auto and I mostly make revolver gun leather.  There is just no way to get a belt loop in the back side of the holster with that tiny stitch area. 

My plan going forward to modify the pattern is shown with the paper below the holster. 

Anyone ever use a welt on a pancake? 

9F015D36-AC83-4423-B75C-2682D70838B4.jpeg

ECE968DE-B66C-4B02-AB75-6041869B93A0.jpeg

I do Glocks . . .  S&W 9's . . . M&P's . . . never needed a welt yet.

My backs are flat . . . more or less . . . and all the molding is done in the front panel.

Pancakes do not lend themselves well to stamping and carving unless it will be shaped mostly by wearing the gun in it.

Off hand I'd say your leading edge (to the right of the thumb break) is seriously over sized and the other edge is seriously under sized.

At least for all the pancakes I do . . . that would be true.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Thanks Dwight. I don’t do much molding on mine for the exact reasons you stated, just a quick wet form.  They do loosen and form over time from wear. I also use 8-9 oz leather and I find that for me it doesn’t give me the same molding  results as thinner leather does. 

I would not let this ugly duckling go out the door - but was able to salvage it for personal use. But it looks amateurish in the proportions (as you stated) . Not my finest effort… 

I used it as a opportunity to try some new dying techniques - which were also a mixed result. 

I have a new side of leather inbound and I’ll try a redemption…

18B3A0B2-452F-4709-BE37-060C1738438F.jpeg

With the slots cut and sewing finished . . . looks like a useful holster.

I've got one of those . . . I can stick a Sig 365 in it . . . a Taurus G3 compact . . . or a officer model 1911 . . . just all depends if or where I put the Chicago screw in it.

It actually is the most comfortable holster I own . . . and was made on a lark . . . 

I use it as a model for the other slip cake holsters I make . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight