Sign in to follow this  
Emdee

Adler 205-374

There's an Adler 205-374 for sale in my area for $3680. I'm a novice but I know this model has a good reputation I have a need for a heavy stitcher. The owner doesn't seem to know much about it but it's supposed to be in good working order. I was wondering if this was a good deal or not. I was going to buy a clone but maybe should grab this instead. Thanks in advance.

Mike

The Adler 205-374 was one of the premier heavy leather stitchers made between the late 1980s until about 5 or 6 years ago. New, they sold for about $7,000, plus or minus, depending on the location and value of local currency. They sew 3/4 inch of leather and take bonded thread up to #415.

The 205 uses the same needles as the Cowboy, Cobra, Techsew and Juki 441 machines. It has been said that the 205 was Adler's answer to the Juki TSC-441. The first time I saw one in use was around 1987 or 1988, at a renowned harness maker's shop. They bought one of the first Adler 205s available for sale to compare to their room full of Randall Lockstitch needle and awl machines. It was large, quiet and impressive!

The Adler 205-374 has a smooth feed dog and smooth bottom presser and alternating feet for use on fine leather projects, like English bridle leather show harness and dress belts.

The price you mentioned is about half what the machine might have sold for when it was new. It is a bit high for a used machine, but is a good deal if there is nothing wrong with it. Be forewarned that if anything is wrong or missing, authentic parts for Adler machines are DEAR. You can buy aftermarket bobbins and some accessories fairly reasonably. I would try to get the seller to demo the machine if possible. If they can't, bring someone with who may be familiar with this type of stitcher.

This is very helpful. Thank you!