DaveP

English Horse brasses

Hopefully in right spot. 

My sister sent me her horse brasses for a little help. I looked at them and saw they weren't even made from real leather.  So, I re-did them for her. 

I  have some from my parents that they brought with them in the early 60's. Top left is what Mom called a horseshoe carrier. 

20220414_230724.jpg

20220416_012039.jpg

Here's mine

20220416_112030.jpg

How are these used? I have one with three on it, 

Once upon a time these were the 'bling' for working horses. They were often attached to straps which were then attached to draft-horse harness.  Sometimes the brasses were left on all the time. Sometimes the brasses were only put on for shows

20819881ae07e33819ae8b6ae4ff2e97.jpg

Then from the 1960s thru the 1970s it was a fad to collect them and just hang them on straps around your rustic fireplace

Thanks. I have no use for them , so I was going to post them up locally, but I was not sure what to call them.

Nice collection of brasses!  This book from master saddler Robert Steinke's Ebay store is informative.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/223744242608  If you buy from the author he will sign the book.