Sign in to follow this  
Mulesaw

Saddlebag for a 1934 BSA

A friend of mine asked if I could make a saddlebag for his sons 1920 Indian Scout. he wanted it to look pretty similar to one he already had for his 1934 BSA. 
I took the overall measurements and made the saddlebag a little bit different using some slightly thinner leather (5 oz). The older one was something like 12 oz, and seemed too stiff and clunky to my taste. It wasn't an original saddlebag either, but one he had someone make some years ago.

The reason I only made one was because we hadn't agreed on any price etc. so I told him that he could show it to his son and if he liked it I would make a second one and if he didn't like it - it would be OK with me. I hadn't treated the leather in any way, so he felt that it was very light in appearance. I gave him a couple of small samples of the same leather with some neatsfoot oil on it, so he could see that it would darken once treated. I haven't heard back from him since I have returned to the ship, so I am still not sure if he wants it or not.

I had clocked my time and it took me 6 hours to make it. There is roughly 4 sq. feet of leather in the bag, and a bit of hardware.

IMG_3460.jpg.991bd90b30ab51634e298217b02bb17b.jpg

IMG_3461.jpg.c40c81bed7e5424d512d75a0325087b9.jpg

IMG_3462.jpg.7bafbb3586c2bd5cfb4711cf920b8ba7.jpg

IMG_3465.jpg.8da4b4aa9058aef45e7aad9498a12761.jpg

IMG_3466.jpg.456dab3e7d1931bc2b52e9a53f3b9e15.jpg

IMG_3467.jpg.23284d4e3725bc204b1da11850a9b9ad.jpg

IMG_3468.jpg.85c00c4dc07162fbf063286154043df3.jpg

IMG_3469.jpg.da81530ffb54cc9e02e3b7c9a6a14d9a.jpg

IMG_3470.jpg.34b85ae3244ad0c045328f1b7fb81d96.jpg

nice looking bag.  He will love it.  I am sure you will hear from him soon.

I would think it would be very dificult to turn right side out if you made it of 12 oz.  Would your seams be "sharper" if you wet the leather before turning it?  I think it looks great!  It will darken with time and UV as well as NF oil.

JM2C

5 hours ago, PastorBob said:

nice looking bag.  He will love it.  I am sure you will hear from him soon.

Thanks Bob

I hope that he will want it, otherwise I'll just see if I can sell it to someone else. 

Brgds

Jonas

5 hours ago, jrdunn said:

I would think it would be very dificult to turn right side out if you made it of 12 oz.  Would your seams be "sharper" if you wet the leather before turning it?  I think it looks great!  It will darken with time and UV as well as NF oil.

JM2C

Thanks

The one that I looked at for inspiration only had the front part "turned out". And it didn't have that small piece of darker skin between the main parts. I am pretty sure that it would be really difficult to turn it too. Turning this one was not super easy, but it was doable, so I am glad that I didn't move up in thickness of the leather. 

I hadn't thought about wetting the leather before turning it inside out, so it is quite possible that it would have looked sharper. 

I guess it would be OK as long as I wetted the entire bag, so I wouldn't risk a change in colour from wetted contra dry parts. I wonder if it would still be possible to do it after I have turned it. Then I could put some cardboard or thin plywood into the bag to help retain the shape while it dries.

Brgds

Jonas

I like it!