Sign in to follow this  
Jholden0

Consew 226rb-2 presser foot not lifting breaking thread

I have a consew 226rb-2.  I am using 69 thread with a number 20 135x17 needle.  I am experiencing an issue that I cannot overcome.  Thread keeps shredding and breaking.  It is happening when the needle begins to move upward out of the leather as far as I can tell.  Initially, I tried a #18 needle and a # 20 seems to have somewhat reduced the frequency of the issue.  I have tried the following: new needle, new thread, timing (moving the hook closer, and away, also the needle bar up and down.) Adjustment of the tension upper and bobbin case.  One thing I also notice is that the presser foot doesn't really lift much at all while sewing.  I tried adjusting the presser foot and walking foot to keep them in timing, I increased and decreased both pressure adjustment screws many times.  Is this issue possibly caused by a worn out spring?  The machine has to be at least 30 years old if not 50.  Does a worn out pressure spring cause anything like this?  I am losing it.  Thank you for any assistance you can provide. 

Edited by Jholden0

reg. foot lift: if it is the outer foot that is not lifting check this link - maybe its the same problem:

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/100802-something-has-to-be-missing/

reg. thread braking:  make sure the bobbin case opener is properly adjusted and the thread keeps not hanging on it

maybe you can shoot a video and post it here (Youtube link) and show the issues so we can visualize it better.

Thanks for the link.  I did already adjust that unfortunately.  It actually lifts when there is no work in the machine, however once I add leather.  Nothing.  I'm going to upload a video so that there is a better idea of what is going on.

12 hours ago, Jholden0 said:

I have a consew 226rb-2.  I am using 69 thread with a number 20 135x17 needle.  I am experiencing an issue that I cannot overcome.  Thread keeps shredding and breaking.  It is happening when the needle begins to move upward out of the leather as far as I can tell.  Initially, I tried a #18 needle and a # 20 seems to have somewhat reduced the frequency of the issue.  I have tried the following: new needle, new thread, timing (moving the hook closer, and away, also the needle bar up and down.) Adjustment of the tension upper and bobbin case.  One thing I also notice is that the presser foot doesn't really lift much at all while sewing.  I tried adjusting the presser foot and walking foot to keep them in timing, I increased and decreased both pressure adjustment screws many times.  Is this issue possibly caused by a worn out spring?  The machine has to be at least 30 years old if not 50.  Does a worn out pressure spring cause anything like this?  I am losing it.  Thank you for any assistance you can provide. 

Really not related to your problem, but for leather you should be using 135x16 needles.

Is this a new problem?  Have you been successfully sewing with that machine before?  And with leather?  Can you pull the bobbin thread out freely?  I've had a couple of times that there was a thread jam in around the bobbin area which required partial disassembly to resolve.  Usually was caused by my not inserting the bobbin case correctly to the snapped in position and then trying to sew.