Flatcapper

Done it now! Lol

Well after playing with clones (cheap clones) I finally broke down and purchased a Cobra Class 26, which is still just a clone of a Juki 341, albeit an expensive clone. I have a Thor 1541s with their srg package. Its a well made machine and Sunny Sewing does a great job with assembly, and setup. It sew perfectly right out of the plastic wrapped pallet. That took care of wallets and card holders, as well as the "fly swatters" I make.

However for sewing hats and bags and such you just need a cylinder ATM machine. Being of unsound mind and lack of patience, I was going to order a News tech gc-8b, however the day I got all my pennies together I went to the dealers website and I was shocked to find them out of stock! So there starts my downfall due to the lack of patience. Because I had a set budget, I had to find a cylinder arm machine within my budget. I looked at a lot of different machines,from those TN the $1300 range to the $3600 dollar range. Well my budget was definitely on the lower end. There just isn't many machines at that price point.

So I wound up purchasing this less then awe inspiring Yamata yf-335a, which is a poor clone of an old Pfaff 335 cylinder arm machine which was designed to do binding on light materials. I called the dealer and told him I was only mostly sewing leather, and the occasional wooly leather flatcap. Needles to say he told me it would work for leather. I told him the machine I originally wanted and he skirted the answer to my question all the while ensuring my his machine would work. Needless to say I paid the piper. And I still have that bad taste in my mouth.

I got the Yamaha to sew well after adding a speed reducer, changing the top plate, feed dog and needle plate from binder to standard machine. Added a left toe presser foot and with some mild adjustments it would sew my flat caps really well. Then, I wanted to sew these bags together using some 135 thread and troubles started. So I tried to adjust the hook timing, and really screwed things up. Worked at adjusting it for hours between numerous YouTube videos on how to set the hook timing. I finally got it to sew after watching a video where it was suggested to set the hook timing by actually watching the interaction between the needle and hook with the needle threaded. Now the Yamata is sewing lighter materials using size 90 thread. Its up for sale as I write this.

In the meantime I ordered the gc-8b I originally wanted. It was ordered on Saturday and arrived Thursday even with a holiday mixed in. So I got this cylinder arm machine assembled is half a day. My issue was getting the right size belts with the speed reducer. So with some adjustments and such its now humming along sewing with that 135 thread. This machine is also pretty much a clone of a Juki 341 also. So you ask where does the Cobra class 26 machine come into this story? Well while checking out machines when getting ready to order the New Tech machine, I happened upon the Leather Machine Company's website and looked at their class 3 and class 26 machines. But decided the class 3 would be to much machine for the things I make. So I went ahead and applied for credit on their site figuring it was never going to happen. Well towards the end of the application there was an error and the application failed. I gave up and moved on and ordered the New Tech gc-8b.

Then, about a week later, I think it was the morning the 8b was to be delivered by the man in brown, I was going through my morning messages on my cell phone and found one from the credit company for the class 26 saying I was approved for the loan. However I read that only was being given $2000 which was about $1000 less then I needed for the class 26. So I blew it off as I didn't have the extra money to make up the difference. No biggie, I figured I'd just make due with the New Tech machine.

So while I was waiting for the man in brown, I got a call from the Leather Machine Company. She wanted to know which machine I wanted to purchase, as the loan approval didn't say on their end. I told her the class 26 machine, but explained it was a mute point as I was only approved for $2000. To which she replied, they approved you for $20,000. I pulled back up the message and sure enough after counting the arrows she was right. So after talking with her about what I make she agreed the class 3-4 would be to heavy of a machine. They will sew heavy leather all day long, but not so well on lighter materials, i.e. wool, vinyl, upholstery leather,as well as elastic banding. She could have tried to up sell me to the class 3 or 4, but she didnt. Hence how I'm now waiting for my new Cobra Class 26 cylinder arm machine.

The moral of the story? Save up and buy the right machine the first time, and save yourself a lot of pain, frustration, and money. Also make sure your awake when reading credit acceptance messages. If you made it to the end then congratz.

Edited by Northmount
Split into paragraphs

Congrats on the new machine!  But geez, your message is really hard to read, at least for these old eyes.  Paragraphs would make it much easier.

Congrats Flatcapper!

The machine buying thing is a learning experience, isn't it? Good luck with your new machine! Post pics when you can, please!

As for sewing caps, hats and bags, I use a post bed machine for those jobs. Mine has a 7 inch post and walking feet. It handles thread sizes up to #138 and uses a G size bobbin.

On 6/7/2022 at 9:19 AM, Wizcrafts said:

As for sewing caps, hats and bags, I use a post bed machine for those jobs. Mine has a 7 inch post and walking feet. It handles thread sizes up to #138 and uses a G size bobbin.

Wiz, I'm interested in knowing what machine this is (?). I read through the machines you have listed that you own and did not find one with those features. I'd like to know as I'm considering another machine myself with these capabilities - something that does well sewing caps, hats, bags. Thanks ahead!

3 hours ago, suzelle said:

Wiz, I'm interested in knowing what machine this is (?). I read through the machines you have listed that you own and did not find one with those features.

My post machine is a Singer 168G101. I bought it from Bob Kovar at Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. It has the same feed as a Singer 153w103