Sign in to follow this  
TheNoob

Singer 251-2 limits and needles

My wife just bought me a singer 251 - 2 what kind of leather can it handle in thickness as well as what needles would I use and what thread can I use on that.  Also would you recommend slowing it down and if so recommended motor or setup

That’s an old garment machine. It will sew thinner leathers and uses a 16 system needle. Not a good fit for a dedicated leather machine for heavier weights. 

Hi All,

I have a Singer 251-3. Bought it a few years ago. I mostly sew clothing and other household items on a domestic machine but sometimes need a bit more heft. I recently took up weaving and have done a bit of weaving with recycled denim. I am wanting to sew some leather onto the piece of denim cloth that I wove and create a handbag. I am familiar with leather needles for domestic machines but what about leather needles for this particular machine? Is there a chisel type made for it and where can I find them? I am aware that I need to match thread and needle size but I want to know if leather needles are available. I will do hand sewing for the exposed portions but I want the seams done by machine as they will be turned inside out. 

I also know the machine goes like spit! I am hoping to put a different motor on it but need more information on this. I want to slow it down and have more control. I'm good on a domestic machine but this is a different league altogether. I have seen some posts on adapting a  servo motor to the machine. Thoughts? 

That's two question now. 

Thanks,

Margaret

From Winnipeg, Manitoba

Hi,

So would a 16-261 designed for heavy canvas work? it is not a leather needle specifically. 

13 hours ago, Maggy said:

I also know the machine goes like spit! I am hoping to put a different motor on it but need more information on this. I want to slow it down and have more control. I'm good on a domestic machine but this is a different league altogether. I have seen some posts on adapting a  servo motor to the machine. Thoughts? 

Yes changing the motor from a clutch motor, which I'm assuming yours has from the comment "goes like spit", to a servo motor is easy. Basically you unbolt the old motor from the table and almost always it is a straight install of the new motor using the same bolts.  The problem is the weight of the those old clutch motors. I would suggest removing the sewing machine from the table and turn the table upside down then unbolt and remove the old motor. Your back will thank you. The cost of a decent servo motor will be about $150 to $250 CAD and a 550 watt should be plenty for your machine.

kgg

Your a star! Thanks for the input. I was not even sure if putting a servo motor on the machine was doable or just an internet myth. I will try it in the new year. I have a few projects in mind. You are not kidding when you said the machine is heavy! It took four strong men to get it into the basement. Never moving it again. Thanks and I will let you all know how it goes. I am excited to try.