Sign in to follow this  
Mike Phelps

guitar strap

With this strap I tried a few things a bit different than what I usually do. Some of them didn't work so good and some did. On the shell for the pad I usually cut the bottom part of the shell for the pad 5/8" shorter than the top piece to get an arch to fit over the shoulder. On this one I also cut it an 1/8" narrower to give the top piece a rounded appearance. That didn't work so good as I got a few puckers that wouldn't go away. Might have worked better if I had molded it? It looks pretty good just not what I envisioned. Second I went with a Sam Brown Stud for the adjustment device. Now that worked out fine. I like that and wonder why I've never seen one on guitar straps before. What didn't work so well was when I cut the slot on the wrong side of the hole and had to put a second hole at the other end of the slot. It works alright though and even makes changing adjustments on it a bit easier because once this thing is locked down and under both loops it's not going to come loose. Sewing those loops down on a strap that narrow is a killer. Broke my fine little awl poking angled holes through 3 pieces of leather. Because I had to double up the leather for the adjustment piece gave me stitches all around the border I decided to put stitches around the rest of the strap also and why have stitches just for decoration. So I did something else I've never done on a belt or strap. I put a lining on it. Used some undyed pigskin. It's nice and soft but not very thick. Learned not to be so haevy handed with the glue because when I cut the excess lining away it left some fuzz from the lining and dried along the edge that had to be sanded off.

No Stains, no dyes, no antiquing, just "Tan Kote" on everything.

Strap is 1 inch wide, 1&1/2 inches on the Snake Head ends, 8oz. veg-tan.

Pad is 3&1/2 inches wide by 13 inches long 6oz veg-tan with 7/8in. gold shearling

Adjustment lengths are 46-53.

Mike

Fall_Harvest1.jpg

Fall_Harvest2.jpg

post-51-1194212917_thumb.jpg

post-51-1194212932_thumb.jpg

excellent work, mike. Thanks for the details.

--Phil

Thanks Phil.

How you coming with the strap for your working on?

Mike

Mike--first one's in process. Got quite an education on straps from a couple musician friends of mine. Course they're both very particular and they like completely different styles, so I'll do a few different ones and let 'em try 'em out. Quite an experience!

--Phil

Phil, Tell me about particular, lol. That's the reason I started making them. One thing I've found out is you can't please everybody and some,,,,, well. Any more I make them to please myself and don't stray far from that. If they want something else they can go somewhere else.

One of these days I'm going to get some good bridal leather to make straps with.

Mike

Mr. Phelps very nice work. I've always liked stuff that was doubled and stiched I think it gives it a finished look. I also like the color of the leather and nice basket stamping. Mike

Thanks Mike.

I wish all the leather had come from the same source. I'm almost to the point where I can keep those lines going straight down the center of a strap. Made a little jig to butt the strap edge against and kept a triangle close by so the weave didn't spiral down the strap.

I really do like hand stitching. It's one thing I can do half decent. I like doing braid work around the edges and seams and appliqués. Both take so long to do it's hard to make it worthwhile except for the self satisfaction.

Very nice and thank you for sharing.

Very Nice work. I really like things that are more than just 'plain jane'.

The most unique one I've seen so far, was a chain mail guitar strap.

Very goth, but quite appealing. peace.

Thanks Studio-N

A gal that really makes some unique guitar straps is Chantal Corday at pccord.com.

Real nice job Mike! That's a lot of hand stitching! Top notch quality, and looks to be comfortable too. The basket weaved keepers look almost to be braided...hmmm, that would be a nice touch.

I would make the adjustment sizing in a small and a large...say 44-50 and 46-52...most "normal" sized people clock in those ranges. Mostly 46-48, I've found. 53" will be down around their ankles....lol

I use the button rivets once in awhile myself. Part of the new musician tastes include NO hardware. They are paying thousands for these instruments, and don't want scratches from their straps, so the buttons help with the limited use of metal in adjustments. The damage comes when they release the straps and they fall against the instrument.

As an aside, They are also using what are called, Guitar Stops. They lock the Straps onto the attachment pegs on the guitar.

The tried and true sure safe way is to use thong adjustments, but then the player has to become practically a leather lacer to make any adjustments. Thank goodness, most make the one adjustment they want, and keep it there. My one idea for possible improvement to use with the button type is a sliding keeper to actually cover the button and holes, but I haven't tried it yet.

Just ideas being thrown out. I have a long way to go to regaining any skills I had way back when, and am deeply impressed with your work. Thanks for sharing. That's what great here, you don't have to pull teeth to learn from people, they willingly share their expertise.

I'ld say that strap should sell for no less than $150, and that's a steal. But I hope you get much more. I've seen straps of far less quality into $200-350.

I like that alot and the stud idea is excellent! Great work my friend

Thanks rdb.

I've made some with rifle sling hooks for the adjusters that had a sliding cover for the hardware. Never braided just the loops but after seeing rawhide1's work I'm thinking about it.

I'm barely 5ft.10 and with strap button on the heel stock i use a 49 1/2in length. But then my arms are long. If the button was on the upper bout/horn it would be less.

I've made the main body of the strap shorter and thought of offering different lengths for the adjustment part, but found when I did that the coupling would hit a taller person in the middle of the back. Not good. So it's better to have a limited range of six inches or so and tailor the main body to the individual.

There is a whole range of possibilities in the construction of straps. There is a gal in Australia that is really pushing the envelope. I go to her site for inspiration. I can never rip off her ideas. She is just too talented.

Thanks Romey. I intend to start another one like to one you liked so well REAL soon.

Mike

And people think these things are just gitar straps...sheesh

You are absolutely right, there is a huge range in options. Not to mention specifically designed straps for mandolins, and banjos....

From a plain 2" strap with 2 holes and some latigo stips to exotic leathers and skins inlaid, backed, unbacked, lace, stictched, hardware, no hardware....the list goes on.

Although Designs (carving, stamping, molding), and Shapes (straight, curved, ergonomic) can be limitless, I find the methods for adjustment are limited, and that frustrates me. One of the old books I have (c1800s) had a hook and eye made from heavy leather, that got my inventive juices going

And then the customers come in with their ideas......

I look forward toward to your new pieces, they are inspirational...

Well the more i look at that one more i like it, and i liked it alot the first time!i think thats a wicked nice strap and really dig the idea of rifle sling hooks for the adjusters.