Sign in to follow this  
DirtySouthMade

Omtech 50 watt co2 laser

Hey guys I recently bought a omtech 50watt co2 laser

looking for advice on speed/power settings to cut and engrave leather if any of you don’t mind giving advice 

haven’t been able to get a result I like so far

Have you done a test pattern on some scrap? I am assuming you are using LightBurn software, if not please do yourself a favor and get it.

There are test patterns to run along with directions for doing "Ramp Tests".

Correct settings of your laser for the material, air assist if you are engraving or cutting with ample exhaust.

When I engrave or cut a new type of product I run exhaustive tests at different speeds and power keeping a written note of those settings until I get what I want.

Time consuming I agree, necessary, you bet! Begin with low power and speed settings adjusting one or the other to see any change.

Visit the Lightburn Forum at https://lightburnsoftware.com

Ferg

Edited by Ferg

Each laser machine will be different with settings. As Ferg said above, you need to do your own testing (speed, power, frequency and focus distance). 

I have a 50 watt CO2 (not omtech). For cutting, air assist is a must. I mostly cut 6-7oz veg-tan. Power is set to 100% and speed is set to what will cut through it. 

For engraving, I have settings with and without masking tape. Power and speed settings are roughly in the middle. If you want a darker engrave, you need to go out of focus a little.

Make sure you save all your settings.