Tugadude

One of the best instruction videos on the saddle stitch

Ran across this video this morning and I have to say it is extremely well done.  My "go to" videos for helping folks learn the saddle stitch are usually from Nigel Armitage and Ian Atkinson, but this one might be even clearer.  There are always subtle details you can learn and this one shows them quite clearly.  Hope it helps!

thanks for sharing.  Very clear instruction for sure.

14 minutes ago, PastorBob said:

thanks for sharing.  Very clear instruction for sure.

You are welcome.  One of the details sometimes glossed over is exactly where in the hole, in relation to the thread does the second needle go.  I have seen videos where the thread is pulled to the top of the hole and the second needle passed below the thread and of course in this video he shows the exact opposite (which is the way I do it).  I pull the first thread to the bottom of the hole or slit and then pass the second needle over the existing thread, above it in relation to the hole.  

That detail isn't called out clearly on many instructional videos.  At least not clearly to me.  I figured it out based upon trial and error.  

22 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

You are welcome.  One of the details sometimes glossed over is exactly where in the hole, in relation to the thread does the second needle go.  I have seen videos where the thread is pulled to the top of the hole and the second needle passed below the thread and of course in this video he shows the exact opposite (which is the way I do it).  I pull the first thread to the bottom of the hole or slit and then pass the second needle over the existing thread, above it in relation to the hole.  

That detail isn't called out clearly on many instructional videos.  At least not clearly to me.  I figured it out based upon trial and error.  

i do it like him also but i will add the needle positions are also determined by the direction of the angle of the holes and the direction you are sewing. if you sew front to back then placement is different than sewing back to front for example. I didn't watch the whole video maybe he mentioned that.

34 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

i do it like him also but i will add the needle positions are also determined by the direction of the angle of the holes and the direction you are sewing. if you sew front to back then placement is different than sewing back to front for example. I didn't watch the whole video maybe he mentioned that.

He demonstrates the method where you stitch towards yourself and with the slants of the holes pointing downward and towards yourself.  That's the way I learned, based upon watching Nigel Armitage.  Before I got any instruction I messed around with stitching and got so-so results.  It was when I understood what is supposed to be happening that it all began to click.  Then it became a process of refinement.

One of the nice things about having a lot of different demonstrations to watch is that you sometimes pick up details from one that another might miss or take for granted.  Additionally, there is more than one way to stitch (and other things too).  Most will just show you one way to do a thing:  Not right or wrong, just different!  Some things, for example that I do differently from this video are:

1.  When attaching thread to the needles, pierce the thread twice, and if the type of thread calls for it put a dab of glue on the "knot" to keep it an inch or so back from the eye of the needle.  When the knot moves up right next to the needle eye, it can bunch up making it bulkier and harder to pull through.

2.  When inserting the second needle through the leather, simultaneously pull back the first thread a little bit to help ensure that you're not piercing it with the second needle.  That can be a real pain in the neck to have to try to un-do when it happens.  

3.  When starting a line of stitches, if the starting point will be visible start 2-3 holes in and do a "backstitch" the will match what you normally do at the end of a line.  It's not necessary, but at least both ends are symmetrical.

The point being, some videos (and for that matter printed sources) are certainly easier to follow than others very few if any are totally complete.  Tips and tricks can be picked up from multiple sources.  Furthermore, instruction that totally makes sense to one person might leave another confused, but that second person might find another source that just clicks!  As much as it is sad to say, also, there are certain videos that I've seen that I just can't watch.  Sometimes the video quality or angles are impossible to see what you want, and once in awhile I just can't listen to the presenter due to an accent that I just can't get through, audio quality, or whatever.  Multiple options are a good thing!!

- Bill

Yes, there are different ways to do things and everyone has to figure out what works for them.  Consistency is the important thing in any event.  It isn't good enough to achieve good stitching "sometimes" or seemingly "by accident" and I see evidence of that in some of the projects on this forum and elsewhere.  I think it is because those persons don't understand the process and/or the fundamentals.  They don't get a clear picture of what is going on with the needles and the threads.

Regarding point #2, the instructor does show pulling the thread downwards and towards himself so the second needle can pass unobstructed.  That is key.  it doesn't hurt to "check" by pulling the thread a bit AFTER the needle goes through just in case.  I still do that sometimes, but not on every stitch.  I can generally feel when it has possibly pierced the thread and at that point I make certain to check.

The way he shows attaching the needles is the way I do it for braided thread.  I find piercing the thread twice is not necessary when using braided thread whereas I do usually pierce it twice in the classic "S" configuration when using twisted thread.  It makes the attachment much more secure.

For those who can't picture the "S" method, here's what it looks like:

Threading the needle - Sewing Leather - Leatherworker.net

I refer to it as an "S" due to the shape, it reminds me of an s.  

Hope it helps.

Billybopp said:

"3.  When starting a line of stitches, if the starting point will be visible start 2-3 holes in and do a "backstitch" the will match what you normally do at the end of a line.  It's not necessary, but at least both ends are symmetrical."

That makes total sense and would be practical in many instances.  I thought about that the other day when viewing a leather wallet that has become quite popular.  I'll show it below.  It occurred to me that the stitching on this particular design might as well all be doubled up so that in effect there's two complete lines of stitching.  That way it is not only balanced, but looks the same all the way across.  As it is, some might find it unattractive.  And some might love it.  Viva la difference!

image.jpeg.cef29c67ed5b97eea939d6e7eb3f94a9.jpegCarry Commission Hitchhiker Wallet

Edited by Tugadude

I have viewed several "how to" videos on saddle stitching, and this is by far the best for my understanding on how to perform and get the slanted look. 

Found another video that had some helpful tips.  Also, the guy has a unique sense of humor that I enjoyed.  He takes a lot of the "mystery" out of saddle stitching and shows how with some knowledge and some practice, anyone can learn how to hand stitch leather.  And more importantly, get good results.  

Always good to see different takes on things and the saddle stitch is no exception.  Parts of this video are excellent and I particularly like how he showed how to create flat stitches on the backside of your work versus slanted stitches using the "cast" technique.  

Also, he does a great job of showing exactly how the thread is situated in the holes, where to insert the 2nd needle, etc.  Took me a while to really understand how the thread behaves and I hope this will help those who might be struggling.  

that's an improvement.  never understood (still dont) why somebody would watch HOURS of video to do something so simple.   16 minutes is more.... SANE.