toxo

Almost ready to get serious!

After my recent house move, although there's still a way to go I'm at the stage where I can start to produce leather stuff. Just finished a motorcycle backrest and about to start on a handbag for his wife. I've decided to invest in a couple of bits of kit to give myself some encouragement.

Still trying to refurb the Jun-Air compressor. Not sure how much it's gonna put out but it will at least make an awesome airbrush unit cos it's silent

Just bought this - 

Sealey BB2002 Bench Mounting Buffer/Polisher, 200mm, 550W/230V : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

And as soon as I've found out how easy the belts are to get hold of I'm gonna get one of these. having two grades on one machine will be good I think. -

950W Electric Sanding Machine Belt Sander Double Axis Bench Grinder 220V 6000rpm | eBay

My bags are gonna look awesome this year (I hope).

Thoughts guys?

Can't go wrong with a sander or buffer.  You will have to share with us the progress on your setup, with pics of course :-)

On 1/25/2023 at 11:28 AM, PastorBob said:

Can't go wrong with a sander or buffer.  You will have to share with us the progress on your setup, with pics of course :-)

Be glad to Bob.

Buffer should be here tomorrow. Holding off on the sander til I know where to get the belts. That seller doesn't sell em and doesn't even know the size of the belts. I'll be sorry to pass on that sander cos I like the ones that have no steel behind em and most of the others have really slim belts.

Having to really think about my set up cos it's in a small second bedroom but I have everything I need in there. two sewing machines, an 801 skiver and a worktop so plenty of shelves. Just down the hall is a 5ft deep x 3ft wide tool cupboard. Thinking about putting the buffer and sander in there on a sliding shelf but depends on if the mess is controllable, otherwise they can go in the small shed in the garden.

Still struggling with the compressor. After buying three socket sets it turns out the bolts are spline or 12 point bolts. I thought I'd cracked it with the last set but the 6mm was too small and the 7mm was too big. Can't find a 6.5mm anywhere. When I eventually get it sorted it'll make a silent airbrush compressor.

Turns out these belts are common on Ebay so I've just ordered the sander.

And it turns out that although the compressor was built in Denmark the bolt is an imperial size. 

4 minutes ago, toxo said:

Turns out these belts are common on Ebay so I've just ordered the sander.

And it turns out that although the compressor was built in Denmark the bolt is an imperial size. 

I use the sanding drum on a Cobra burnisher as a first pass to level up edges after trimming or to even out a curve.  Need to be careful about the heat generated that will burn the leather.  A light touch is best.  I finish by hand sanding before burnishing.

5 minutes ago, TomE said:

I use the sanding drum on a Cobra burnisher as a first pass to level up edges after trimming or to even out a curve.  Need to be careful about the heat generated that will burn the leather.  A light touch is best.  I finish by hand sanding before burnishing.

This is what attracted me to this sander. Because there's no steel behind the belt there's more leeway when doing curves. there is a selection of belt grits and there's a felt one which I'm thinking will be good for burnishing. Also, the speed is adjustable.

4 hours ago, toxo said:

This is what attracted me to this sander. Because there's no steel behind the belt there's more leeway when doing curves. there is a selection of belt grits and there's a felt one which I'm thinking will be good for burnishing. Also, the speed is adjustable.

That all sounds good.  Will be interested in how the felt burnishing works out.

On 1/25/2023 at 4:36 AM, toxo said:

After my recent house move, although there's still a way to go I'm at the stage where I can start to produce leather stuff. Just finished a motorcycle backrest and about to start on a handbag for his wife. I've decided to invest in a couple of bits of kit to give myself some encouragement.

Still trying to refurb the Jun-Air compressor. Not sure how much it's gonna put out but it will at least make an awesome airbrush unit cos it's silent

Just bought this - 

Sealey BB2002 Bench Mounting Buffer/Polisher, 200mm, 550W/230V : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

And as soon as I've found out how easy the belts are to get hold of I'm gonna get one of these. having two grades on one machine will be good I think. -

950W Electric Sanding Machine Belt Sander Double Axis Bench Grinder 220V 6000rpm | eBay

My bags are gonna look awesome this year (I hope).

Thoughts guys?

This dual belt sander arrived today from Germany. A week earlier than expected. All seems well. Will update when I've had a play, with maybe a short video. Once I've  sorted which grits are best I'll probably buy on the roll cos all the offerings seem to be mixed.