DonInReno

Bradbury patcher vs similar German patcher

I’ve read through a number of past posts here about similar machines, but nothing specifically about a Bradbury - and it’s definitely stamped a Bradbury.  From what I gathered these were made in the UK up until the early 1900s and something like 70,000 were sold here in the US.  It is interesting how many different companies made their version of this design.

This machine popped up a few hours away and I’m trying to gather a little information to decide if it’s worth seeing in person - wondering if anyone has used or even inspected a Bradbury A1 compared to one of the German versions?  My biggest question is what kind of stitch length is common with these really old (about 1900) machines?  If it only had a tiny little stitch u dear 10 spi I’ll probably pass, but I don’t have any clue.   They were sold to shoe makers so it seems stitch length wouldn’t be too short.  

I have a Chinese patcher and would like to get a similar design, but higher quality machine that I don’t mind putting time into to tighten up, smooth out and modernize a bit.   Bradbury marketed these as industrial machines and had hardened wear surfaces.  Theres nothing fancy about it, but the metal parts seem decently machined and surface finishes are much like any other old sewing machine, so not too bad and worlds above a Chinese patcher.    I’ve finally collected enough equipment to machine, heat treat and precision grind parts and this seems like a fun project to hopefully end up with a fun conversation piece.  :)

24769847-67E2-4EC0-ABE1-59FFCC40800E.jpeg

CF6646D2-234F-4D15-B6F3-F57EB9F5DBDA.jpeg

I know like nothing about this type of patchers but I think LW Member @shoepatcher knows more. I just dipped my toe into the DURKOPP Class 17 machines and figured that they are amazing and I got mine to ~7mm long stitches. But the DURKOPPS are quite different to the Bradburry but I would love to see a front view of this one.

My biggest concern would be if the machine has a functional shuttle / hook and matching bobbins. I´m not sure if other brands have interchangeable shuttles / hooks.

ok  Bradbury machines were made in England from 1850's to about 1923.  First sewing machine company in England.  The A-1 was made from 1872-1923.  About 65,000 sent to US.  Had the smallest diameter arm on any shoepatcher I have seen. Apparently were very good machines.  I have 4 of them to rebuild.  Very small bobbin and hook.  I even have one of the slide on flat wooden tables for it.  The original tables for the machine to set on were made of black walnut.  Had  metal legs.   Later all metal stand.  I have manual on the machine and a parts list. On may list of machines to rebuild.

glenn

1 hour ago, shoepatcher said:

Had the smallest diameter arm on any shoepatcher I have seen. 

Thanks for the information Glenn!  I’m going to pass on this one - the small bobbin size is the opposite of what I’d really like to end up with.

In the search for information this style of patcher, the one machine that really caught my eye is your “Patcher on steroids”.   Something like that would a fun machine to have.  Did you ever find out who made it?  Of course the odds of ever running across a similar machine are zilch, but it did get my wheels turning.

06914AF7-3B00-41AB-A1F5-E4E03800699F.jpeg

German made.  Still researching it

glenn