Brokenolmarine

Sling for the Ranch Rifle

Using the Gonzales thumbhole pattern, just as I did for Miss Tina's Sling for the CZ455 Varmint 22, I made a sling for my Ruger Ranch 556 rifle.  I carved the classic oak leaf and acorn pattern.   First I carved several practice patterns.  Rather than go with the natural color she wanted on the sling for her CZ, I chose to go with a black sling to compliment the light green factory stock on the Ruger, and used Autumn colors for the carving.  I stained the keepers a light brown and antiqued them in dark brown to bring out the tooling.  I am happy with the outcome, but like most of us, I certainly saw things that I know I could do better next time around.  Don't we always. :whistle:

The keepers.  The center keeper is upside down, you can see the stitching holding the loop in place.  I burnished them around a form made from two scraps cut from the strap of the sling to form them to get the shape.  I burnished the edges prior to cutting the three lengths, learned from the first time. 

812151860_23threenewloops.thumb.jpg.6b7ed14cdad94d7784b95b22d0e63baf.jpg

The completed sling:  I was happy with the outcome, but always room for improvement.  I ordered a set of half round end cutters which I will use on not only the ends of the sling straps, but to cut the inner loop of the thumbhole on future projects.  Should give me a much cleaner cut.

720005676_25itsdone.thumb.jpg.b5159a9049f8514934f7e58ef245075f.jpg

I mounted it on the Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 556.  I chose this model and caliber for specific reasons.  The Rifle will accept AR magazines, and the 556 caliber will also safely shoot 223 ammunition. Always a good idea to have versatility in the stable.

455423926_26mounted.thumb.jpg.f39cdd1745fb46c89a3308a87f0802d5.jpg

The thumbhole in the sling allows you to rest your thumb thru the sling and control the rifle on your shoulder without gripping the strap of the sling.  Your arm is "resting" on the sling and not straining or fighting the sling to keep the rifle in place.  Anyone who has humped a rifle for any distance knows this is a Godsend.  As a former Marine, I have spent some time with a rifle on a sling.  Luckily, as a helo crewman, Avionics Technician, not nearly as much as many of my brothers in arms. B)

Edited by Brokenolmarine

That's a beauty!  The oak leaves are a standout and the sling looks like a top quality job.  One idea for the keepers is to bevel the inside edges (flesh side), skive the ends and overlap them.  Run 2 lines of stitching using a single needle backstitch.  This is known as a running loop in harness and bridlework.    

Thanks very much for the input, never seen that technique before.  I have learned ALL my leatherworking from YouTube or a few books I have found on line or in secondhand shops.  I appreciate the suggestion.  I'll try the technique as practice.  What is the metal bar called that you squared your loop on?  I just made a form using scraps from the actual strap cutoffs from the sling. LOL.

1 hour ago, Brokenolmarine said:

Thanks very much for the input, never seen that technique before.  I have learned ALL my leatherworking from YouTube or a few books I have found on line or in secondhand shops.  I appreciate the suggestion.  I'll try the technique as practice.  What is the metal bar called that you squared your loop on?  I just made a form using scraps from the actual strap cutoffs from the sling. LOL.

You're welcome.  Loop making has become a bad habit - I make bridles.  The loops are "blocked" on a hardwood loop stick or loop iron.  Abbey England sells sets of both sticks and irons.  Bruce Johnson has a set of acetal loop sticks that are thicker and work well for running loops that fit around 2 strap thicknesses.  https://brucejohnsonleather.com/leather-tools-sale/loop-sticks-and-loop-irons-sale/

Oops, sold. :whistle: 

Thanks for thinking of me, but the funny thing, by the time the bidding ended, they paid as much as a new set, with shipping.

:rolleyes2:

Since I have a complete woodshop, and after looking at the prices... I think I'll make each one of my loop irons out of hardwood as I need each size from Walnut or oak.  I have plenty of both and being retired, I also have plenty of time to get them right. 

Edited by Brokenolmarine

I liked looking at both your ranch creations Great efforts, Broken Marine  !

I watched the Don Gonzales tutorial not long ago myself.

and, yes to that carry for any distance, I was Army !