Sign in to follow this  
BridleButt

Relooped Shotgun Belt

Decided to redo my shotgun belt with horsehide loops. Sanded down some 7 oz hard-rolled to about 4 oz and looped them wet. I like they way hh maintains its shape and stiffness when it dries. I was going to replace that Ghormley buckle but they’re $160 now! I have enough of that Sedgwick Stirrup Butt to make about 3 more belts. This stuff is really top-notch. Lasts forever 

237CE054-2409-4FD9-A40B-5EFD257CE31D.jpg

Edited by BridleButt

Pretty slick!

Very impressive, I have never worked with horse hide.

@PastorBob

The "hard rolled" is pretty good stuff for making things like knife sheaths and IWB holsters too. Edge burnishes like nobody's business. "Soft rolled" is more malleable  Tannery Row is having a special on bundles of 5 that are "stained"...that only makes them better for this kind of work. 

Edited by BridleButt

Hi,  I would like to try some horsehide, what type of sander did you use to sand off 3 oz.?  I have a small hand belt sand.

Thanks, Howard

That’s what I used. Keep the flesh side damp and go slow. I do the entire horsehide strip at the same time to get one uniform thickness then cut the loops. If you get the 9 oz start with 60 grit