Ddat

Type of leather to use for chest rig?

I want to create something like this:

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1/ProductID/37

I would like it to be somewhat waterproof. I've only worked with veg tan and some exotic scraps. All my veg tan I finish with sno-seal, and I would be happy with that level of waterproofing. I would like to incorporate some of the PALS webbing.

Any drawbacks to using veg tan?

Any advantages to using chrome tan or something else? Please be specific with products and tanneries as I have no experience with any of them. I would line the pistol compartment with veg tan.

Should a stiffener be used? Perhaps are the back piece that touches my chest?

Also, I really like the [pinch to open clip thingies]. Would those work with leather or is there another product that would offer quick detach and adjustability?

I really want to start this project and I would be grateful for any insight before I spend hours making this. I would be happy to share my pattern if it works out.

Welp. I'm going with veg tan.

I'm with you . . . veg tan is where I would go.

I would probably buy a 7/8 oz hide . . . and make the whole thing out of it.

AND . . . I would be very tempted to make a form and wet form the front of the front pouch . . . perhaps 2 inches dep . . . formed over a rounded over 2 x 10 or something thereabouts.

As for the pistol . . . use a flat piece of leather for the back . . . fitted to that carrier portion . . . and form fit the pistol to it on the front of that piece . . . set in the direction you want it to be should you have to grab it in a hurry . . . use the hair side to touch the gun on both sides . . . you DO NOT want a full size 1911 flopping around in a loose pocket . . . it needs to be held down . . . and a really well formed holster like that will fix you right up.

Looks like a neat project . . . make sure you pop some pics for us when it is done.

May God bless,

Dwight

Honestly, some nice lookin' bridle I think.  Or harness, thpough that may be a bit of an extreme.

Bridle will tend to shed some water, if a guy got into some weather er sumthin, or sweat.  And it's TOUGH ... ;)

Available in colors too ;)

On 3/9/2023 at 3:51 PM, Dwight said:

I'm with you . . . veg tan is where I would go.

I would probably buy a 7/8 oz hide . . . and make the whole thing out of it.

AND . . . I would be very tempted to make a form and wet form the front of the front pouch . . . perhaps 2 inches dep . . . formed over a rounded over 2 x 10 or something thereabouts.

As for the pistol . . . use a flat piece of leather for the back . . . fitted to that carrier portion . . . and form fit the pistol to it on the front of that piece . . . set in the direction you want it to be should you have to grab it in a hurry . . . use the hair side to touch the gun on both sides . . . you DO NOT want a full size 1911 flopping around in a loose pocket . . . it needs to be held down . . . and a really well formed holster like that will fix you right up.

Looks like a neat project . . . make sure you pop some pics for us when it is done.

May God bless,

Dwight

So I'm thinking each vertical panel will be 4oz/4oz, Pals webbing on one side, sewn vertically. I like the 8oz weight but I would like grain side seen throughout. I was also thinking 4 oz for the (thin section around the edges that give it volume). If you watch videos on it's intended use, the sides need to be flexible to pull the corner down on your draw. I'm not opposed to wet-molding anything, but I want the extra pouch in front of the pistol compartment. What do you think?

I am planning to use Velcro or dummy cord to secure my AIWB holster to the chest rig. It will not be flopping around.

On 3/9/2023 at 4:15 PM, JLSleather said:

Honestly, some nice lookin' bridle I think.  Or harness, thpough that may be a bit of an extreme.

Bridle will tend to shed some water, if a guy got into some weather er sumthin, or sweat.  And it's TOUGH ... ;)

Available in colors too ;)

Are bridle and harness veg tan? Is there something different about them that makes them tougher?

I'm still wondering about clips and adjusting straps...

26 minutes ago, Ddat said:

Are bridle and harness veg tan? Is there something different about them that makes them tougher?

I'm still wondering about clips and adjusting straps...

Bridle and harness leathers are veg tanned and stuffed with oils and waxes to add finish and some water resistance.  You still need to oil and condition the leather with use - as for maintaining horse tack.  These leathers tend to be expensive and are correspondingly high quality tannage with a dense structure.  I have been very happy with Hermann Oak bridle leather that I buy from Springfield Leather.  You'll need a splitter if you need different weights for your project - in order to make everything from the same (dyed) hide.  Springfield Leather can do custom cutting and splitting.  

Batz Corp has a number of aluminum clips similar to what I think you're describing.  It's easiest to find their products in the catalog, which can be downloaded here https://www.batzusa.com/catalog-download/.  I would call them for pricing and availability.  Their website is hard to navigate.

17 minutes ago, TomE said:

Bridle and harness leathers are veg tanned and stuffed with oils and waxes to add finish and some water resistance.  You still need to oil and condition the leather with use - as for maintaining horse tack.  These leathers tend to be expensive and are correspondingly high quality tannage with a dense structure.  I have been very happy with Hermann Oak bridle leather that I buy from Springfield Leather.  You'll need a splitter if you need different weights for your project - in order to make everything from the same (dyed) hide.  Springfield Leather can do custom cutting and splitting.  

Batz Corp has a number of aluminum clips similar to what I think you're describing.  It's easiest to find their products in the catalog, which can be downloaded here https://www.batzusa.com/catalog-download/.  I would call them for pricing and availability.  Their website is hard to navigate.

Appreciate the info. I'll look into both. Thanks.

Steps to use a roof safety harness. Step 1: Inspect the roof safety harness kit. Step 2: Safely climb a steep roof. Step 3: Consider fall space. Step 4: Install roofing harness anchor points. Step 5: Set up the slide guard. Step 6: Put the harness on. Step 7: Attach to the fall protection system. Step 8: Keep a short distance from the anchor point.

On 4/3/2023 at 2:36 AM, Stephen111 said:

Steps to use a roof safety harness. Step 1: Inspect the roof safety harness kit. Step 2: Safely climb a steep roof. Step 3: Consider fall space. Step 4: Install roofing harness anchor points. Step 5: Set up the slide guard. Step 6: Put the harness on. Step 7: Attach to the fall protection system. Step 8: Keep a short distance from the anchor point.

Beep boop beep...computing...