Sign in to follow this  
Skifunk2

Singer S29k72

I have done leatherwork by hand for a few years now, and was recently able to obtain my grandfathers S29k72 leather patcher from his old shoe store.   It hasn’t been used for many years, and since he’s passed away I have very little assistance for my questions.   My biggest question is the presser foot comes up extremely high, thus not moving the   Material.  I have already tried to adjust the settings on the back of the machine to no avail.  I have attached a picture for reference as to how high the foot comes up at the top of the stitch.   Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2E24D14C-4BAE-4807-BFE1-ACAB321D5989.jpeg

E913A513-3865-48ED-A9FC-4D0BE59A6B03.jpeg

Edited by Skifunk2

The flat screw on the other end of the shaft that has the wing nut for adjusting the walk is off.  That has to be loosened.  I always replace that screw with an Allen screw  1/2" x 24tpi.  Easier to adjust and you can tighten it down more on the shaft.  Once loose, set walk with wing nut to lowest walk and slightly tighten straight slot screw to get the walk adjusted.  Next go to highest walk with the wing nut.  (letter H on the gauge) and adjust  it so foot just comes  up under needle clamp.  You will get the knack of it with a little practice.

glenn

Thanks, I will try that adjustment order and see what happens!

I will add to make sure that the manual hand lift lever is all the way down before you try adjusting the foot lift components. I've seen people go crazy trying to get the foot down on the leather when the manual foot lifter is engaged! They literally needed to consult a therapist afterward! ;-)

Another way to tell that the manual lifter is engaged is if the top thread has almost no resistance when you pull it out the bottom, or through the needle's eye. This is because a properly set machine separates the top tension disks when the foot lift lever is raised up.

The manual is available online if you don't have one. Aside from the excellent advise you received above, the manual is handy if you need to order parts.  The 72 is a beautiful machine when properly maintained and tuned. Your grandfather was a wise man chosing that model. 

Happy tinkering and happier sewing!

1 hour ago, Brewerkel said:

The manual is available online if you don't have one. Aside from the excellent advise you received above, the manual is handy if you need to order parts.  The 72 is a beautiful machine when properly maintained and tuned. Your grandfather was a wise man chosing that model. 

Happy tinkering and happier sewing!

Here's a manual.

Singer_29K71_72_73_Manual_hi_res.pdf

Thanks everyone! This has been more than helpful so far.   It has been a work in progress, and I think  I'm starting to get it dialed in.  The practice stitches are definitely improving with each adjustment and cleaning/oiling that I do.   Hoping to have it "finalized" this weekend.   Then it will be on to turning my attention to the treadle and adjusting that back to a strictly foot and not motorized...