kcenderjim

Stamping predyed veg tan

I have been making bracelets and key chains with the normal veg tan. I am wondering if you use the same casing steps if using black predyed veg tan? Being so new I go off of the color to return but how do you do that with such a dark predyed veg tan piece. Any insight would be appreciated and thank you in advance for any and all help.

There is a simple answer to this one kcenderjim . . . don't use pre dyed leather . . . especially black.  You can see what you are doing on any light color . . . and best if it is not dyed at all.

Dyeing is an easy process . . . and dollar for dollar . . . it is about the same price to let them do it . . . or DIY.

The ease of dyeing is only complicated a little bit sometimes by the dye choice.  USMC black is one you want to stay away from like it is the plague . . . distributed under the Feibing name.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

2 hours ago, kcenderjim said:

I have been making bracelets and key chains with the normal veg tan. I am wondering if you use the same casing steps if using black predyed veg tan? Being so new I go off of the color to return but how do you do that with such a dark predyed veg tan piece. Any insight would be appreciated and thank you in advance for any and all help.

Yes, the same steps. I don't tool but stamp 3D designs. I use a press for this. I just do it as if it wasn't coloured, ie, regular pressure and depth. Just be careful that the leather is veg tan and not chrome tan

I followed FredK's process. I use a Harbor Freight press, liberly spray a 50/50 solution of simple green and water, let it soak in and in a few attempts I learned that too much pressure resulted in the outline of the entire stamp.

3 hours ago, AlamoJoe2002 said:

I followed FredK's process. I use a Harbor Freight press, liberly spray a 50/50 solution of simple green and water, let it soak in and in a few attempts I learned that too much pressure resulted in the outline of the entire stamp.

Joe,

Have you found the Simple Green makes the leather harder after casing with it? I haven't tried that yet. We are still using the water/Lexol/baby shampoo, and Listerine casing mix but have a lot of Simple green sitting here.  

Thanks! - Bruce

Bruce,

I was thinking the simple green would help release the stamp easier....however, once the solution dries it looks great, stamp is set, and no staining. I don't know much about casing leather to make a good comparison. Joe

My casing for stamping 3D designs is just a slight wetting of the leather with a wet sponge. I usually do a number of items in one session. By the time I've wet the last item the first is ready to stamp

These book covers were of pre-dyed veg and cased my way

Book cover, type 2, Joyce, 01bLWs.jpg

Book cover, type 2, Kathleen, 01bLWs.jpg

Edited by fredk

I DO use Wickett-Craig drum dyed skirting leather in black and chestnut.  Stamps the very same way as "natural" tooling leather.  

Only thing to check is that whatever leather you get doesn't have a FINISH on it - many types of finish won't let water penetrate and may crack when stamped.  W/C leather has never had that, and can be stamped, tooled, embossed, formed, ... whatever.

ALL of these were done with leather that came frm W/C already dyed black ;)

eb2.jpgDSC01456.jpg20181103_124041.jpgthing2.jpgIMG_20200614_183443_743.jpgDSC00338.jpg

Thank you all for this great info. Like I said I'm new to all this so any help is greatly appreciated. I have not gotten into tooling as of yet. I have only tried stamping and love the outcome so far. I'm still trying to get this whole "casing" thing down. I have only tried water so far but some how must have over wet my last project because after I stamped it it became very very stiff. I'm gonna try some oil on it to see if it softens back up. Thanks again everyone...

PhotoRoom-20230411_133109.jpg

I have always used natural leather, but they had some drum dyed black veg tan from HO at Springfield Leather.  I got some and tried it out on a Buscadero holster.  No carving, just stamping.  It seemed to work just like normal veg tan.  It took a little longer for the water to absorb, but it worked just the same.  I only case with water using a sponge.

DSC_0066.JPG.c75822608ff78460006e3d71a2e2345f.JPG

@PastorBob That's good for newbies like me to know.

But it looks like the belt is natural inside and the holster is black. You must have used a natural hide for the belt and dyed it?

Edited by AlZilla

21 minutes ago, AlZilla said:

But it looks like the belt is natural inside and the holster is black. You must have used a natural hide for the belt and dyed it?

probably lined it with a thin natural piece.

13 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

probably lined it with a thin natural piece.

Yes.  The outside is drum dyed 9-10oz veg tan.  The inside is 3-4oz natural veg tan.  I sewed them together so it has a finished inside.

13 hours ago, AlZilla said: