Catharina

Follow up on my search to find a cylinder bed

As said, a follow up, I left two Pfaff 335 advertised on facebook where they are. One, because the owner was selling because she couldn't get the machine working, cheaply priced, but since I wasn't sure about parts needed, and If I could get it going, I passed. Second one older type machine, with an older type motor, adapted for use on 220V from 380 V, needed to be replaced as well as the belt, too expensive...passed.  So, I was advised to look at Juki machines, the LS 1341.  Asked an official Juki dealer about second hand machines, he has a LS 1342 that just came in and thinks it is perfect for me. (Ha, well, dealers.......LOL) I am having a very difficult time to find out the essential differences between the two machines, as I find the Juki website a little confusing. Currently sewing with a size 18 needle, Tex 80 thread, handbag making, hence the search for a cylinder bed. I will mainly be sewing handbags, not too thick leather, but might venture into dog collar and leashes, horses head collars, belts etc.

Comparison chart here  https://www.juki.co.jp/industrial_e/products_e/lether_e/cylinderbed_e/detail.php?cd=LS-1341_LS-1342_LS-1342-7_E Am I correct, that the 1342 takes a slightly thicker thread, and has a larger bobbin capacity?

What I see here: https://casanieto.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/General-Catalog-non_appa_E_High_2019.pdf Page 8 and 9 of the pdf document,  Is that there are different subtypes of the LS 1342, from the pictures it is definitely not the "7", as it has not little screen on top. So, there is a thick thread LS 1342 machine, a small cylinder LS 1342 machine or a small gauge LS 1342??? Can anyone confirm, please?  I cannot read the machines type on the little plate on the machine on the picture sent by the dealer, numbers are erased......... which I find, very very weird? I maybe able to upload a picture, I'll try!

Looks nice. Hopefully KGG should be along, he is pretty knowledgeable about the various Juki models and should be able to help you.

10 hours ago, Catharina said:

I am having a very difficult time to find out the essential differences between the two machines, as I find the Juki website a little confusing.

My take on the Juki LS-1341 / 1342.

i) newer updated version of the Juki LS-341. A lot of the clones that are labeled LS-1341 are actually clones of the older Juki LS-341.

Both the 1341 and 1342 have:

The Same

i) size cylinder bed 72mm (2.84 inch) diameter,

ii) length of cylinder arm 255mm (10 inch)

iii) large capacity bobbin

iv) thread size capacity, rated for V138

v) needle system 135 x 16 or 135x 17 up to a 180 needle (#24 needle)

vi) weight the same at 37.5 kg

Their Difference

i) Max sewing speed of the LS-1342 can sew 500 sti/min faster then the LS-1341

ii) LS-1342 has an optional smaller needle plate

iii) The main difference is you can change the stroke of the presser foot and walking foot by a knob on the top of the machine for getting over multi layers

Note: The Juki machines rate their machines for what thread it will sew with for both the top thread and in the bobbin not what size of thread you can stuff through the max size needle you can put in the needle bar. A 180 (#24) needle will take V207 thread and will handle it in the bobbin in thinner materials.

This information is for the Juki LS-1340 series machines can be found on the Juki website: https://www.juki.co.jp/industrial_e/download_e/catalog_e/ls1340.pdf

The information on the nameplate being scratched off is worrisome. Why??

The machine is missing a couple of things that I see

i) Knee Lift probably because the machine is installed on some aftermarket or homemade table top

ii) the bobbin slide cover is missing

iii) bottom cylinder cover appears to be missing but it is hard to tell from the photo

iv) Top thread post guide pin missing

v) No thread stand for the top or bobbin threads

You might want to check the main drive belt for wear as I see the bottom cover on the cylinder arm isn't seating quite right and may have been removed to do repairs.

11 hours ago, Catharina said:

Am I correct, that the 1342 takes a slightly thicker thread, and has a larger bobbin capacity?

No

kgg

Thank you very much KGG, it makes a bit more sense now. The picture was taken as the machine was still in the  professional juki dealer's workshop (very messy I agree) and is currently being checked and made ready for selling. That explains de missing things. The machine is equipped with a pneumatic foot lifter, so yes, no knee lift for this one. I cannot for the life of me figure out why on earth somone would scratch the information from the plate. And this is indeed worriesome, I will ask and see what the answer will be.... Things would be soo much easier in life with a bit of extra money, and go out and buy a new one... but it will be sold with a year's warranty.

4 hours ago, Catharina said:

Things would be soo much easier in life with a bit of extra money, and go out and buy a new one.

How true.

4 hours ago, Catharina said:

The machine is equipped with a pneumatic foot lifter, so yes, no knee lift for this one.

Depending on how the pneumatic presser foot lift was installed you probably could remove it and revert back to the standard mechanical operated foot lift. The Juki 1341 / 1342 came with both the front mounted knee lift and a foot pedal operated mechanical lift.

What is the going price in France for a used Juki LS-1341 / 1342 machine?

kgg

2 hours ago, kgg said:

Depending on how the pneumatic presser foot lift was installed you probably could remove it and revert back to the standard mechanical operated foot lift. The Juki 1341 / 1342 came with both the front mounted knee lift and a foot pedal operated mechanical lift.

What is the going price in France for a used Juki LS-1341 / 1342 machine?

kgg

If I go for this one, I may ask him to put a mechanical kneelift in, if he will not raise the price that is. If not, I will need to buy a little compressor to go with it, extra expenses.... The asking price on this one is around 1700 euros, add 20% VAT on that and you end up around 2000 euros, almost 2200 dollars..

1 hour ago, Catharina said:

If I go for this one, I may ask him to put a mechanical kneelift in, if he will not raise the price that is. If not, I will need to buy a little compressor to go with it, extra expenses.... The asking price on this one is around 1700 euros, add 20% VAT on that and you end up around 2000 euros, almost 2200 dollars..

The price in France is really expensive as compared to what they are going for in Canada. The price for a used Juki LS-1341 in France at 2000 euro plus the cost of a compressor or $2930 CAD is a lot higher then what they can be had at a dealer in Ontario at $1650 CAD plus 13 percent sales tax for a total of about $1865 or about 1270 EUR. The one in the example comes complete with table and servo motor. Example: https://dixietailoringsupply.com/product/juki-ls-1341-used/

I would definitely ask to have the pneumatic system removed for three reasons i) expense of the compressor / hoses ii) more items to maintain / replace iii) noise and vibration of the compressor particularly if you are in an apartment which sort of defeats the quietness of having a servo motor.

I forgot to ask how thick including overlapping seams that you will be sewing and with what size of thread?

kgg

Edited by kgg
forgot question

20 minutes ago, kgg said:

The price in France is really expensive as compared to what they are going for in Canada. The price for a used Juki LS-1341 in France at 2000 euro plus the cost of a compressor or $2930 CAD is a lot higher then what they can be had at a dealer in Ontario at $1650 CAD plus 13 percent sales tax for a total of about $1865 or about 1270 EUR. The one in the example comes complete with table and servo motor. Example: https://dixietailoringsupply.com/product/juki-ls-1341-used/

I would definitely ask to have the pneumatic system removed for three reasons i) expense of the compressor / hoses ii) more items to maintain / replace iii) noise and vibration of the compressor particularly if you are in an apartment which sort of defeats the quietness of having a servo motor.

kgg

Oh, wow... crying right now! LOL! That is a much better price! Stuff is so expensive here these days.  Last year I bought my Pfaff 545 and I paid 1200 euros.... The Pfaffs 335 I passed were priced at 800 (because not working!) and the other at 1500, and it needed a new servomotor........... A pneumatic system here, will not be a problem for the noise, living in a remote area and I don't think I'll be able to live in an apartment...... but the extra electricity might be a problem when moving to Spain (hopefully soon) and living off grid..

32 minutes ago, Catharina said:

A pneumatic system here, will not be a problem for the noise, living in a remote area and I don't think I'll be able to live in an apartment......

I figured I would mention the noise part as a lot of people live, sort of, in apartments and the noise / vibration of a compressor might make for unhappy neighbors.

32 minutes ago, Catharina said:

living off grid.

That should be interesting, you will become very conscious about all your electrical loads. If being off grid is going to be a new installation you will be better off, electrical wise, of over sizing your solar panels or generation.

kgg

Edited by kgg

50 minutes ago, kgg said:

I figured I would mention the noise part as a lot of people live, sort of, in apartments and the noise / vibration of a compressor might make for unhappy neighbors.

That should be interesting, you will become very conscious about all your electrical loads. If being off grid is going to be a new installation you will be better off, electrical wise, of over sizing your solar panels or generation.

kgg

Yes, sound can be a big problem especially when having neighbours! I remember my daughter not being able to do leather stamping because of her neighbours....... what a pain! Off grid will be a big adventure.. and I really hope it will work out ok, we are so used to just turn things on these days. But the political situation in France is getting rather worriesome these days, we will be very happy to leave (I have no idea what news goes out in the world about France!)

Viva la revolution! Gotta love the French!;)

What about waiting to buy when you move to Spain? Have you looked into the prices/availability there?

6 hours ago, dikman said:

Viva la revolution! Gotta love the French!;)

What about waiting to buy when you move to Spain? Have you looked into the prices/availability there?

I can't wait for the revolution to start! Very much needed! Bring back the guillotine too! (For some....) I did a bit of research in Spain too, and the Netherlands (since I am Dutch) but prices all over Europe are about the same. Not much availability either, most are flatbed machines and then they are not even compound feed... Will call a Dutch dealer today, to see what he has available.

On 4/3/2023 at 7:31 AM, Catharina said:

, and the Netherlands (since I am Dutch) but prices all over Europe are about the same. 

Be aware that frequently there are DA 69 on the secondhand market in the Netherlands that have had a hard industrial live. And therefor be prepared to spend some time and money bringing the machine back to full working order. Look out for machines that have had a paint job but the worn-out parts are not replaced. I purchased mine for 700 euro and spend 500 euro in replacing parts. Exclusive my labor.