Leatherface320

Juki 1508 bobbin and tension

I just bought a new bobbin case and hook for juju 1508 cause mine tension spring was a messed up I was wondering  about converting to a side load style like the 1541 that I read about.  Does anyone no the machine that the parts come from to switch it Over and part numbers and also how do I sent bobbin tension correctly I have played around a lot and seen all the Videos of how it should be just loose enough to fall when not supported but mine is all the way loose and  still to tight it seems.  Is that tension I mentioned only for light fabrics. Cause like I said both mi e r tight enough to support the weight of bobbin with the screw backed all the way out. And how do I know when it’s right. Also I have been having to tighten my top tension almost all the way to even it out.   Also is there any I stuctions to set up the take up spring cause I can’t find anything On that online or in the manual. Thanks

Edited by Northmount
fixed title

14 hours ago, Leatherface320 said:

I just bought a new bobbin case and hook for juju 1508

Moved your post to leather sewing machines.  This is where the sewing machine guys hang out and most likely place you'll get some help.

On 4/20/2023 at 7:37 AM, Leatherface320 said:

I was wondering  about converting to a side load style like the 1541 that I read about.  Does anyone no the machine that the parts come from to switch it

That is a very cryptic post! I'm trying to decipher the questions.  The first question appears to be how can I convert my Juki LU-1508 top loader into a side loader like the Juki DNU-1541?  (I filled in the missing prefixes) No, you can't do that. If you want a side loading machine, trade in your 1508 top loader for a 1541 side loader.

On 4/20/2023 at 7:37 AM, Leatherface320 said:

how do I sent bobbin tension correctly ... Cause like I said both mi e r tight enough to support the weight of bobbin with the screw backed all the way out... Also I have been having to tighten my top tension almost all the way to even it out.

It could be that there is an anti-backlash spring in the bobbin case, under the bobbin, that is pushing up too much, jamming the bobbin and adding way more tension than you actually set it to. If that isn't it, something else may interfering with the path the bobbin thread takes and is squeezing the thread. Or, the top thread may be getting jammed as it goes through the feed dog, gets picked off by the hook and wraps around the shuttle and bobbin. Remove the cover plate over the bobbin and watch the top thread as you slowly rotate the hand wheel with a piece of tough material, or leather under the feet. See if the top thread is loose, or tight as it goes around. If it snaps going around the bobbin case, the timing could be retarded. Advance the timing a bit and try again.

17 hours ago, Leatherface320 said:

I just bought a new bobbin case and hook for juju 1508 cause mine tension spring was a messed up I was wondering  about converting to a side load style like the 1541 that I read about.

Is not the 1508 a Vertical 'top-load' . and the 1541 a Horizontal 'under table' side-load  ? .. One is a LU/#model juki.. other is a DU/# model juki .
The  question you asked, sounds like you asking if you can convert the 1508 that you own. To a 1541's bobbin assembly ???