Gosut

Preventing Vinegaroon from Bleeding: A Lost Cause?

Not picking on Vinegaroon here. Dunk regular tanned leather in water, and it will bleed. Have discolored socks over the years that attest to this. I had hopes for vinegaroon, though, given it turns leather black through a chemical reaction. I tested it on a scrap that turned as black as coal, neutralized it with water and baking soda, and noticed some bleeding. Rinsed and resoaked with more bleeding. Placed it on a folded paper towel, and it wicked away bleeding. At this point I allowed it to dry and soaked it in steeped tea to add back tannins destroyed by the baking soda, then rinsed and soak. Had bleeding, but it could have been from the tea. Rinsed and soaked again, with more bleeding. At this point I stopped and allowed the scrap to dry.

At no point prior to exposure to water did the scrap display rub off. It's only on exposure to water.

Is there a way to prevent bleeding? My concern is sweat. I know I 've had belts over the years that got throughly soaked in sweat and didn't bleed, but I assume they were chrome tanned. Then again, there's my experience with boots and shoes.

Decided to dunk the leather again. First I got it soaked, then put it in a folded paper towel. No bleeding. Next I let it soak. Then had some bleeding into the water. Again wrapped the scrap in a folded paper towel. No bleeding on the towel. Not sure what to make of all this.

What kind of leather are you using? (brand)  I've not had vinegaroon bleed...but I don't do it very much anymore.

Some imported veg tan leather. No real brand. I'm a beginner and don't have the skills for the expensive stuff yet.

I know that this thread is several months old. But thought I would mention this:

I have not had vinegaroon bleed earlier. But this time, used some old Tandy leather and tried to dye it with vinegaroon - a Herculean task as it just goes a bluish grey. Had to dye repeatedly, drying completely each time. Finally I tried dipping it in strong tea first.  That helped a bit but when I wiped it clean after the vinegaroon and a water rinse, the color bled. It is possible that the result of the chemical reaction between the tannins and iron acetate does not stay absorbed in some leathers.