BlackDragon

It's finally here!

It's been 2 months and I finally brought home my Class 4 from Zack White's.

I'm in the midst of setting it up but I noticed that the bottom pulley is at a slight angle. Is this normal or should I adjust the pulley height?

20230429_173716.thumb.jpg.34b5eaec6680ace88fe787f4313f37d8.jpg

Edited by BlackDragon

I do see how the reducer looks pulled to the side - is that what you were thinking?

Belt tightness can vary quite a lot and be ok.  I like them as loose as possible but tight enough to not squeak or slip.  A belt loose enough to slip a bit if a needle or hook gets jammed up can prevent more serious damage.   Eventually you’ll develop a feel for the situations more likely to break needles and go slowly over these areas and quickly let off the gas if things do lock up, but some of that experience involves breaking a few needles.

The pulleys should be directly inline. Any angle may cause premature wear on the belt.

Thanks! I appreciate the help.

I'll get everything aligned tomorrow and give it a go.

Ok the issue wasnt the bottom pulley after all.

When I was putting the machine together the youtube video I was watching had the pulley backwards like in the top picture. Watching the video that came with the machine (which I've seen on youtube before) had the pulley flipped around.

I put the bottom pulley back where the manufacturer set it. Now everything looks like it's running as it should.

That’s funny - I totally missed the handwheel was backwards.