I am looking to get a good walking foot machine that is a true triple compound feed. So far the 1541 models are the ones that fit the bill and the Thor looks good at its price point but I am wanting to make sure I have long term quality. I would like to get a cylinder arm but financially it's not in the cards right now. I would prefer to stay in the 1500-1700 range if I have to in order to get a quality triple compound feed machine. I have been reading different posts and kind of using Wiz's tips as guidelines but with so many its just difficult when you can get the whole setup for a few hundred dollars less and it "seems" like the quality is the same but I was hoping for more insight from those who have had more experience with "knock-off" brands of the proven manufacturers. 

6 hours ago, NCbyJon said:

I am looking to get a good walking foot machine that is a true triple compound feed.

My take. If you want Japanese quality the Juki 1541S is still made in Japan the last time I checked as some Juki models are being made in China. I have a Juki 1181n made in China and it is not the quality of my Juki 1541S. With the clones it depends generally on what the clone importer / reseller specified as quality of internal parts and the level of after sales support the reseller can provide. A member a few years back was having a bobbin case problem with his 1541 clone and it turned out that it was manufactured with a different non compatible Juki one.

With a Juki you will get detailed manuals (installation, operating and engineering) where as some of the clones provide some instructions on setting the machine up and refer you to the relevant Juki manuals.

When it comes to reselling a machine it is much easier to sell a Juki as well it will command a higher used price then a similar clone.

Before I purchased my Juki 1541S I went and test drove a few clones which I would advise you to do. Some were decent while others sounded like a bucket of bolts banging around.

If you only have space / funds for one machine I would suggest you get a cylinder bed machine with a flat top table attachment and forego getting a flat bed. I think a cylinder bed machine with a flat top attachment will provide more sewing versatility. You can do flat items on a cylinder bed (with a flat top table attachment) but you generally can't do round items on a flat bed.

With all that said it comes down to what you can afford and what you want to sew (round or flat items, thickness of leather including seams, thread size).

What do you want to sew??

Buy once, Cry Once

kgg

Edited by kgg

Very well said overall. I have looked as far as cylinder arms go at the Cowboy sewing machine models as well as some Techsew models that I like for a cylinder choice. I am not looking to do much more than mostly handbags, wallets, etc. at the moment but would like maybe the possibility of stepping over into doing some rigging for horses. Not so far as stirrups and saddles but more reins, thicker straps and such of the sort. 

7 minutes ago, NCbyJon said:

but would like maybe the possibility of stepping over into doing some rigging for horses. Not so far as stirrups and saddles but more reins, thicker straps and such of the sort. 

Keep in mind generally the sewing thickness of the more popular flatbeds in the upholstery class of machines like the Juki 1541 is 3/8" total max sewing thickness. The cylinder beds machines have upwards to 3/4" depending on model.

kgg

You won't be doing a lot of equestrian tack with a 1541 or other 135 x 16  needle system machines but your handbags and wallets will be very happy.  Definitely a juki 1541s. New I think under $1500.00 head only, well worth it.  The rest of the table and drive motor are available everywhere.  Will want to consider getting a speed reducer as well.  Strongly recommended or the smallest drive pulley on the drive motor.  Contact Bob at Tolledo Industrial Sewing for the motor and controller and Reducer.   Get your table locally.   You don't need lasers, eps but buy a good drop down roller guide and every type of Presser foot sets made.  Chinese stuff is fine.  You will be grinding on these as you gain more experience.  

I purchased a Seiko cylinder arm BSC-8BL for about $3800.00 delivered. A very nice and robust machine.  Now looking for a 17" post bed or possibly a 360 machine.

Good luck

Silverd