Sign in to follow this  
Handstitched

Wad Punches

Got these ' toys ' today. One is  a Wynn & Timmins  England 1-5/8" punch, and the other is a ' Footprint England'   2"  punch .  Barely used, and in good condition. I know new ones can be bought, but I'm not paying up to $190 for a 2" . The 2" was $65 au at  an antique/rustic/junk shop/yard thingy  :)  And besides, I prefer vintage stuff as they are built to last  .Could have spent hours in there, and spent a lot of $$$  too.  They also have some  blacksmith bellows that I've had my eye on for a while now, but it was out of my price range.....for now ;) Have to save my pennies. 

In the background of one of the pics, is a ' Tilley Parafin' iron ( mainly for display) , and a  ' Companion Australia ' blow torch in working order , just 'ripe' for restoration, I already got one, and restored that . 

HS 

Wad Punches May 2023 002.jpg

Wad Punches May 2023 003.jpg

Very cool find!! who ever owned them first took mighty good care of them. I love old tools i have a plumbers stove i refurbished a few years ago. My dad picked it up to melt lead for his Black powder guns. 

54 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

Very cool find!! who ever owned them first took mighty good care of them.

Yeh, thats what drew me to them, they were well looked after, and going by the tops and cutting edges , hardly used.  With care, these will outlast me .  There was so much stuff  I could have bought  , but had to watch the $$$.  Theres many more punches,  when the $$ are healthy, might get a few more.  Can't help but keep thinking about the blacksmith bellows tho, they're in a bad way.  . It would be one helluva ( long term) restore project. Good to learn about them too. 

As for the blow torch, there was about a dozen of these, different makes etc. but the way I choose these, I check the pumps & seals, most are loose, dry  and hold no pressure, but this one pumped  and held pressure just fine. Otherwise I would have to source parts etc. that are hard to find here in Oz and  that costs extra . When I collect stuff, I prefer that it works and /or it can be restored , if possible  :) 

History should be saved IMHO :yes:

HS