KristineS

Strap from whip antennas

Someone gave me a leather piece that goes around a bar on the rack of his ultra trunk that holds his whip antennas down when pulling in his garage, instead of letting them hit the garage door.  (I hope that made sense) 

I was going to make more and was using that as a pattern. Unfortunately my husband may have thrown it out. Does anyone have an idea of what I mean or seen anything similar?  I was trying to source the latch,.it's not a snap.  

Thank you so much 

I know what you're talking about. We used to use them on our CB aerials. But I've not seen one since about 1982-ish

Afair the strap was held around the aerial by a Sam Brown button. Pull the aerial down, bring the strap around it and push the hole in the free end over a SB button. Quick and easy. Never came off until wanted

yup, Sam Brown button..

the hole in the leather is actually a hole and a slot combined - the hole portion should be about as large as the shaft of the button, with the slot making it easier to fit over the head..

Edited by Heartless

Probably would include a fixed loop/keeper to secure the free end of the strap so it doesn't lift off the Sam Browne stud.  A stud hook is a related device that attaches the bit to a bridle or reins.  It's a little more complicated to install.  Typically sandwich the base of the stud hook between 2 layers of leather and include fixed loops on either side of the hook.  Definitely not quick release.

DSC_9429-cropped.thumb.jpg.988a91fc3d07c10b1031b758c6e14e26.jpg 

That may be more like the strap I had. afair I had to pull the end of the strap down a wee bit to get it off. But like, its over 40 years since I used one   :crazy:

13 minutes ago, fredk said:

But like, its over 40 years since I used one   :crazy:

I think it’s been 40 yrs since I saw a CB radio. :)