AlZilla

Shoe Thread

I've got a few old spools of "24/4 Cotton Shoe Thread". I'm really just kind of curious where it falls in the world of thread.  I mean it's kind of self-explanatory but there just doesn't seem to be much in the way of information about it when searching.  seems like Shoe Thread should be able to stand up to harsh enviroments.

It measures somewhere between V69 and V92, sews fine in my 111W machines and subjectively breaks about as hard as recent production V92 nylon thread.

noname.jpg

noname_1.jpg

10 hours ago, AlZilla said:

I'm really just kind of curious where it falls in the world of thread. 

My understanding is that for cotton thread it is converted to sort of Tex measurement by dividing 1000 by the size of the thread. So in this case it would be 1000/24 = Tex 41.7 or somewhere around V40. Braking strength for cotton is less then bonded nylon or polyester.

kgg 

6 hours ago, kgg said:

My understanding is that for cotton thread it is converted to sort of Tex measurement by dividing 1000 by the size of the thread. So in this case it would be 1000/24 = Tex 41.7 or somewhere around V40. Braking strength for cotton is less then bonded nylon or polyester.

kgg 

Thanks, that's more than I had. I micrometered some black, which I've read is double dyed so that's probably why it measured closer to v69/v92 (not to mention how difficult it is to micrometer thread ... ).  I wouldn't use it for anything important, anyway.

1 hour ago, AlZilla said:

not to mention how difficult it is to micrometer thread ...

Measuring any thread is difficult at the best of times let alone cotton which can absorb moisture and swell. That doesn't even account for what changes it has be exposed too for the last 30 (??) years.

kgg