Sign in to follow this  
Beanwood

Replacement needle bar?

OK - so this might seem a silly question.. but how hard is it to replace a needle bar?

On my Brother TZ1-B651, the needle snapped right up inside the bar. (Moment of madness on my part I think, somehow)

The remnants of the shank (1/4") was well and truly stuck in the bar, and wouldn't come out, so I ended up removing the needle bar from the machine, and using compressed air to loosen the needle part until I could nudge it out far enough to grab and pull with pliers.

But getting the bar out was far from easy - and took a bit of force - as the end was slghtly enlarged - I don't know why. But it was tough coming out, and is likely to be togh to re-insert. I assume I need to replace the needle bar. (Do I?)

As this machine uses a different needle size to my others, can I just change the needle bar to a 'different' one, so my needles become interchangeable?. The bar outside diameter must be the critical factor, as the tolerances on the sliding surfaces are pretty tight. Is there a standard - I presume not, otherwise why would there be so many options....

I do not know your machine in particular but I have changed needle bars on machines for using a different needle system. Needle bar length and diameter matter. 6.35mm / 1/4" is a Singer standard and I think the needle bar of a Singer 111w could probably work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152426180931

You can use needles with 2mm needle shank then. If this NB is too long just cut it down.

Since you are in the UK I would also check with College Sewing or Trojan Sewing - they for sure have this needle bar too.

Nice machine!

i looked last week for someone:

college sewing sells extra wide feed dogs, needle plate and foot for this machine (just in case you want an extra wide zig zag and you do not already have them)

22 hours ago, Constabulary said:

I do not know your machine in particular but I have changed needle bars on machines for using a different needle system. Needle bar length and diameter matter. 6.35mm / 1/4" is a Singer standard and I think the needle bar of a Singer 111w could probably work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152426180931

You can use needles with 2mm needle shank then. If this NB is too long just cut it down.

Since you are in the UK I would also check with College Sewing or Trojan Sewing - they for sure have this needle bar too.

Thanks Constabulary. That looks hopeful - I couldn't understand why it wouldn't work - as long as the diameter is the same.

I THINK I've traced the diameter to 6.4mm - I'll see if I can firm that up, or get hold of a micrometer to check it.