rlevine

Singer 211U thread guide function?

I'm curious about the rectangular upper thread guide this Singer 211U has instead of a thread pin. Can anyone tell me what it does? It doesn't appear in any of the parts lists or docs I've seen, but this is the second machine I've seen with it.

This machine was running 138 poly thread in a tarp shop, so I'd assume it just provides more upper tension, but I'm curious.

Thanks!  

Rick

top_bracket.thumb.jpg.883d8885fbe874bbe1ac914d09ae31f4.jpg

1 hour ago, rlevine said:

I'm curious about the rectangular upper thread guide this Singer 211U has instead of a thread pin.

This type of guide is used with typically two needle machines where the thread from one thread spool goes through the holes on the left of the bracket and then to the bottom thread guide before the tensioner and the other thread from the second spool goes to the one on the right which would have second thread guide place in the where the screw in the photo is on the right side of the bracket. It can offer extra tension and also keeps the two top threads separate so they don't get tangled up when sewing. A example can be see on this video: ( www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxLo85ClZ2U )

kgg

Some of these had that guide when the bobbin winder was built-in on top of the machine

Thanks to you both! In this case, Bob nailed it: it has a bobbin winder on the top of the machine. It's a 211UX567B. (Not sure what the "X" indicates!)

Rick

top_view.jpg