RKCrowe

Edge Coat Smear

Good day,

I am seeking advice.

I made a belt for work. The edge coat (fiebings) rubs off on to my shirt, white shirt of course, when it gets wet from rain or sweating. 

Is there a way to prevent this from happening or do I need to refinish the edges with a different method or material?

Thank you 

Richard

You could try applying Resolene over the edge coat. Dilute it with water because it can leave a white residue if it is too thick in any place. Two thin layers, with drying in between, would work. Resolene works better for preventing dye running than anything else for me.

Thanks for the quick response. I’ll give it a try. 

I apply it with one of those pens with sponge at the tip that I fill with a diluted solution of Resolene. It allows a thin coat.

How diluted? 

Fiebings edge kote? if that's the case, I would recommend you to use another product, that product is garbage (For those who don't agree show me a clean nice result, and also a durable edge with that edge paint)

A couple of alternatives (In no particular order) Uniters, Fenice, Giardini, Stahl, Vernis600, 

If you make a lot of belts, then it's a lot of surfaces to paint so Giardini with their primer is probably a good choice, you can get a decent result with two coats (one coat of primer and one coat of edge paint)

Edited by Danne

I just eyeball it - about 50%. And for dye, I use ordinary Fiebings Pro  dye. I have no idea about edge kote. 

A traditional saddler's edge dye is a mixture of dye and pearl glue/hide glue.  Dye and burnish the edge in one step.  Some folks use dye plus PVA glue (white Elmers glue).  I think there are discussions about this on this forum.  I use Pro Dye mixed 50:50 with Martins Edge Solution which does a good job slicking the edge of bridle leather.  Another approach is to apply beeswax to the edge with a heated edge iron.  The wax penetrates the leather.  Need to buff thoroughly to remove excess wax. 

I have never been disappointed on this site. 
Thanks to everyone who has responded.