AlZilla

Trying to ID an old Singer

This is listed for sale near me and I can't figure out what it is.  I suspect it's not worth me pursuing but who knows.  It seems to have an internal motor and an oil pan so it's obviously meant to work hard. Just don't know what it is, but somebody here will. [it seems to lack a tension arm?]

The seller says "Singer Sewing Machine commercial grade for Sails,Leather, seat cushions this is a work horse."

00K0K_2cf4nL6iB1w_0t20t2_600x450.jpg

00q0q_h0DjJJ1Zz0o_0t20t2_600x450.jpg

01515_3Ffh4FlQiFp_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Edited by AlZilla

This is a Singer model 552 they were made for gloves,pants & lingerie,single needle 2-spool that makes a chainstitch.The seller made think because it's large it will sew what he claims but it is not for sewing anything heavy esp leather where you'll have the loops of thread on the bottomside.

4 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

This is a Singer model 552 they were made for gloves,pants & lingerie,single needle 2-spool that makes a chainstitch.The seller made think because it's large it will sew what he claims but it is not for sewing anything heavy esp leather where you'll have the loops of thread on the bottomside.

Quite interesting, thank you!  It's further away than I thought (150 miles) and priced at $250 so I don't think I'll be chasing it.  I've been wanting a chainstitch machine but this probably isn't the one.

Edited by AlZilla

23 hours ago, AlZilla said:

Quite interesting, thank you!  It's further away than I thought (150 miles) and priced at $250 so I don't think I'll be chasing it.  I've been wanting a chainstitch machine but this probably isn't the one.

If you want a chainstich machine for canvas get a 300W.