Sign in to follow this  
BigBore

Prototype Holster

New prototype holster I'm working on.  It's my take on the 'companion' style holster, with a few slight variations.  The snap holds the holster in place while drawing a pistol, and I've added a few bullet loops to the belt slide.  I like the idea behind this design in that you can safely and quickly remove the holster/gun without taking the whole belt off. Especially if worn as a ‘cross-draw’. This particular prototype was also made 'rough side out'.  Hopefully by the end of this summer, I'll be ready to add it to my line.

IMG_1293.jpeg

really nice work. I'm not a fan of easy off holsters, not that it matters, when i carry I'm far to active but it sure looks nice.

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

really nice work. I'm not a fan of easy off holsters, not that it matters, when i carry I'm far to active but it sure looks nice.

Thank you and great point!  I envision this holster being used for someone taking a walk/hike and/or to/from a deer blind.  Well, that's how I'm going to use it.  But I agree, if I have chores to do, this probably isn't the rig.

Silly question but how wide are the belt slots ? From the pic it looks like the snap would be in the way . Cool idea and it looks good !!!

17 minutes ago, Gezzer said:

Silly question but how wide are the belt slots ? From the pic it looks like the snap would be in the way . Cool idea and it looks good !!!

I made this one for a 1.5" belt, so the slots are just a touch bigger than that.  I'm not sure what you mean by the snap being in the way though.  It's used as a minor retaining piece so you can draw the gun without drawing the holster as well - or having to use a second hand to hold the holster in place.  Also, my thinking with a single, centrally located snap allows the holster to pivot some.  This would make it more universal if you switched from strong side, to cross draw, etc.  The other, more well know 'companion' holsters that this was modeled after does not use the snap though so they may know something I don't...yet.  Time will tell but as I mentioned this is just a prototype and I will abuse the snot out of it before I offer as an 'inline' item.  And...thanks for the compliment.