mcbecklesworth

What weight vegtan leather should I use for a sling seat?

Hi all, I have a friend who wants me to re-do the leather on these chairs (only one shown but he has 2) using tooled vegtan.

Could you all chime in with your opinions on the weight of the leather I should use to withstand daily use/the weight of average sized people.

359695711_729332602299595_84552505397537

using a 7oz will have some stretch or flex. i would not use anything less than a 7oz & latigo. Latigo is designed for for use in the outdoors. it is the main leather used in horse gear. that looks like they used steer hair on hide. that would also work. i would coat the back with Aussie leather conditioner or Skidmore's waterproofing .     

Edited by Norton Custom Leather

the same weight that is on it. 

8 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

the same weight that is on it. 

I agree. Just measure the existing leather with a mic and then compare it to a leather weight chart like. Weaver has a good chart ( www.weaverleathersupply.com/pages/leather-thickness ) with both Imperial and metric measurements.

On 7/10/2023 at 2:43 PM, mcbecklesworth said:

I have a friend who wants me to re-do the leather on these chairs (only one shown but he has 2) using tooled vegtan.

kgg 

On 7/10/2023 at 10:43 AM, mcbecklesworth said:

Hi all, I have a friend who wants me to re-do the leather on these chairs (only one shown but he has 2) using tooled vegtan.

Could you all chime in with your opinions on the weight of the leather I should use to withstand daily use/the weight of average sized people.

359695711_729332602299595_84552505397537

Just take a micrometer and measure the thickness . . . measure all three pieces to make sure they are the same.

The thing to remember is that 1/64 th of an inch is 1 oz leather . . . the chart below will help you decide.

My guess from persona experience in times past . . . this will be in the 5 oz to 7 oz size range.

Thank you by the way . . . for the good memory.  It has been years since I sat in one of these . . . rocking on the front porch . . . watching the world go by.

When some of our folks could not afford leather . . . we cut up one inch wide strips of inner tubes and wove them to form a seat.  They were really comfortable if the owner wasn't say a 300 pounder . . . lol.

Would sure like to do it again.

May God bless,

Dwight

leather ounce chart.jpg

I can't see how the leather is attached to itself, and the construction method would influence my choice of weight.  The leather in the pictures might not be the original seat and back?  The seat would look nice made from one piece of leather with four flaps that fold around the frame and are sewn.  If you're tooling the leather then veg tan is the obvious choice.  Latigo is combination chrome tanned and veg tanned.  It is strong but not so good for tooling.  I'd be thinking about a single layer of 9-10 oz veg tan for the seat and might want to wet form the folds around the chair frame to make a neat job of it.  You can waterproof it with a silicon oil (Fiebings Golden Mink Oil) or a clear acrylic finish.  

Edited by TomE

1 hour ago, Dwight said:

Just take a micrometer and measure the thickness . . . measure all three pieces to make sure they are the same.

The thing to remember is that 1/64 th of an inch is 1 oz leather . . . the chart below will help you decide.

My guess from persona experience in times past . . . this will be in the 5 oz to 7 oz size range.

Thank you by the way . . . for the good memory.  It has been years since I sat in one of these . . . rocking on the front porch . . . watching the world go by.

When some of our folks could not afford leather . . . we cut up one inch wide strips of inner tubes and wove them to form a seat.  They were really comfortable if the owner wasn't say a 300 pounder . . . lol.

Would sure like to do it again.

May God bless,

Dwight

What i think is cool is the construction, the way the seat is built it uses the weight of the person and the two pieces of leather to hold the chair together by pulling the 4 rungs tight. Beautiful old chairs indeed.

Thank you all for your replies! Here's the back and underside of one. Sorry for the poor image quality, I didn't take the photos, my friend did.

I like the idea of creating a woven seat for a cheaper alternative. When I told my friend what it would cost, he told me to "hold up!"

Thank you also for the info on waterproofing.

received_648353017314147.jpeg

received_1464661587641483.jpegpan widget

4 minutes ago, mcbecklesworth said:

Thank you all for your replies! Here's the back and underside of one. Sorry for the poor image quality, I didn't take the photos, my friend did.

I like the idea of creating a woven seat for a cheaper alternative. When I told my friend what it would cost, he told me to "hold up!"

it appears now to be calf hide with hair on I'll bet it was real pretty at one time. 

He probably had no idea just how expensive leather is, plus your time if you tool it. :rolleyes2:

4 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

it appears now to be calf hide with hair on I'll bet it was real pretty at one time. 

I hate to keep posting links to Glacier Wear, but here's some pretty affordable looking hair on calf hide:

https://www.glacierwear.com/calf-hides.html

Don't know if it'd be thick enough for that chair or not.

6 hours ago, mcbecklesworth said:

McBecklesworth . . . would you do us a favor here . . . we've got some folks  on here that seem to think it takes 20 or 30 oz leather for a chair seat . . . or something nearby.

Have someone seriously measure the thickness of the leather . . . and tell us in decimal inches just how thick it is.

I've sat in too many of those years ago . . . and they were not thick leather seats.

May God bless,

Dwight

The weight of vegtan leather you should use for a sling seat depends on various factors, including the desired durability, comfort, and aesthetic appeal. For sling seats, it is generally recommended to use a medium to heavyweight leather that can withstand the weight and stress of sitting while providing sufficient support. A weight range of 3 to 5 ounces (1.2 to 2.0 mm) could be suitable for a sling seat, as it strikes a balance between strength and flexibility. Thicker leather may offer more durability and rigidity, while thinner leather provides greater flexibility and a lighter feel. Consider the specific requirements of your sling seat, such as the intended usage, user weight, and desired comfort level, to determine the most appropriate weight of vegtan leather for your project. Additionally, consulting with leather suppliers or experienced craftsmen can provide valuable insights and recommendations based on their expertise.