Gezzer

Contact cement and C/T

My question :  leather  glued to metal and under both tension and then compression will hold up how well over time ?  Can't really see a good way for a mechanical fastener , is there a better way ?

IMG_2100.JPG

IMG_2101.JPG

My approach would be to rough up the area to be glued on the metal, you may have already done so, and remove any oil etc. with a solvent .  This may also be a time where super glue may work. .  Super glue will dry hard and stiff, but contact adhesive will be flexible.  Is there such thing as a ' flexible super glue' ?

Be good to hear from others on this . 

I almost forgot to mention, that when I make barrettes , I use around a 5mm -6 mm wood dowel a bit longer than the barrette itself,   ,  slightly pointy at one end, and tapered at the other , and slightly smaller holes in the barrette for the dowel to pass through,  not sure if that is of any help . 

HS

Edited by Handstitched

I would use contact adhesive, but also drill a small hole at each end of the spring clip and fit a brightly coloured ready-rivet. Fit the rivet so the head is part of a coloured pattern on the wings. Other than the usual colours you can get rivets with coloured heads. I have them in several colours such as red, pink, blue, green

5 hours ago, Handstitched said:

My approach would be to rough up the area to be glued on the metal, you may have already done so, and remove any oil etc. with a solvent .  This may also be a time where super glue may work. .  Super glue will dry hard and stiff, but contact adhesive will be flexible.  Is there such thing as a ' flexible super glue' ?

Be good to hear from others on this . 

I almost forgot to mention, that when I make barrettes , I use around a 5mm -6 mm wood dowel a bit longer than the barrette itself,   ,  slightly pointy at one end, and tapered at the other , and slightly smaller holes in the barrette for the dowel to pass through,  not sure if that is of any help . 

HS

I have purchase CA from these folks several times. I have no experience with their flexible, but here it is....

https://starbond.com/search?q=flexible

Thanks guys !!  

I did not know about the flexible super glue but I think this will be my next move .  I have cycled this one 200 times and it is holding , now that may be more than " fair " for the price I will get , I just would rather they not fail before they are old and ratty looking .