Josacraw

Durkopp Adler 291 what to look at

Thinking of upgrading from my Consew 255B to an Adler 291. I use the 255 for sewing boat sails. The lack of reverse is a real bummer and at time it has trouble with large patch assemblies. It drops stitches when I'm sewing through 9 layers of Dacron in the 1/4 inch thick range. I've got the machine well dialed in. So anyways found a affordable 291 with reverse and non of the pneumatic features. What are the limitations of this machine? Will it do a better job? What should I look at in terms of wear.

Thanks

The 291 was Durkopp's answer to Adler 767.  When Durkopp bought Adler about 20 years ago, the decision was made to keep the 767 over the 291.  Both are great machines.  The problem was the threading of the 291 was Micky Mouse compared to the 767.  It is a weird way to thread it.  DA used some of the features off the 291 in its design of the 867.  Specifically the trimming system for thread cutting. The 291 will sew heavier than the 255 but bobbin is a little smaller.

glenn

Thanks for the reply Glenn! The guy has about 20 of the 291s if anyone is looking for one.

Edited by Josacraw

Went and picked that machine today. Got the machine for $350 without a motor. Planning on putting a servo on it anyway. He puts a foot lift on them and pulls the three phase motor and pneumatic controller. He's running an ad in Valdese, NC on marketplace if anyone is interested. Worked several years as an independent repair tech for the local furniture upholstery industry seems to know his stuff. Heck of a nice guy.

Hey Josacraw, I boought one of those from him on Sunday. The biggest thread I have is V92 at the moment. It'll sew through 14 layers of marine vinyl with no issues at all. I have been tinkering with the machine, removing the remainder of the automatic stuff and adjusting foot lift. With the servo motor, it seems to be a really good running machine. What have you found out after getting it and using it some? I'm mainly doing boat upholstery right now.

On 8/9/2023 at 8:53 PM, RKBrown said:

Hey Josacraw, I boought one of those from him on Sunday. The biggest thread I have is V92 at the moment. It'll sew through 14 layers of marine vinyl with no issues at all. I have been tinkering with the machine, removing the remainder of the automatic stuff and adjusting foot lift. With the servo motor, it seems to be a really good running machine. What have you found out after getting it and using it some? I'm mainly doing boat upholstery right now.

I also set the machine up with a servo motor. It sews 11 layers of 9oz Dacron without issue.

It is interesting how there's a separate stitch length for reverse.

16918519302101300984691674604363.thumb.jpg.720a5867916653af580fab8c1ccb73df.jpg

I switched the chain foot lift to a knee lift. Bent an old piece of bike frame with a conduit bender and attached it where the pneumatic lift was on that T.I was having trouble getting enough leverage with the foot operated lift to get the thread tension to release.

I need to swap the support tape on a furling jib 45 feet in length. That will be a good test of the machine. I'll report back after that.

Soi far it seems like an excellent machine for what I want to do and definitely a step above the Consew 255. Also it has quit a bit more room in the throat.

@Josacraw, I'm looking at getting one of these and deciphering the thread sizes from the manual is like reading computer code to me.  Do you know what the largest size thread is that these will handle gracefully?  I use a good bit of 18 ounce canvas and would like to use something heavier than my Consew 226R and 227 will handle as I like the look of a larger contrasting tread.

And have you been able to get good bobbins and other bits and pieces for it?

Thanks

Lance

10 hours ago, LanceR said:

@Josacraw, I'm looking at getting one of these and deciphering the thread sizes from the manual is like reading computer code to me.  Do you know what the largest size thread is that these will handle gracefully?  I use a good bit of 18 ounce canvas and would like to use something heavier than my Consew 226R and 227 will handle as I like the look of a larger contrasting tread.

And have you been able to get good bobbins and other bits and pieces for it?

Thanks

Lance

I can say without reservation it will run 92. There's talk that it will also run up to a 138 but I have not tried that. The machine came with two bobbins. More are available on eBay. So far I haven't had to buy anything for it. Looks like feet and rotary hooks/bobbin cases are also available not sure about anything deeper.

I bought some size M bobbins from PSMC in High Point for 1 dollar each. They are the same size, they just have holes in the sides. I have been tinkering with mine a bit trying to get the sitch adjustment dials synchronized. I haven't tried yet, but I thing it will run much larger size thread than 92. To get good stiches with the 92, I have to run the tensioners around the 7 setting. I also removed the stop screw for the foot lift and I can get a little better than 1/2" under the foot. I also built a speed reducer and installed it  this past weekend. With the servo motor, I can do 1 stitch at a time and no issues with penetration through many layers of vinyl. So far I'm pleased with the machine for the money. I'm starting on a '63 Triumph TR3 interior job for a friend this weekend.

Thanks @Josacraw and @RKBrown, if I wind up with one of these that will make at least three of us in North Carolina with these.  I suspect we would do well to keep in touch regarding parts and accessories and model specific tips and tricks.

I'm a half hour north of downtown Winston-Salem.

What's PSMC?

Lance

Portis Sewing Machime Company in High Point. They are right off of the Green St and Business 85/29 on Trinity Ave. I'm only 30 minutes east of Winston.

22 hours ago, RKBrown said:

Portis Sewing Machime Company in High Point. They are right off of the Green St and Business 85/29 on Trinity Ave. I'm only 30 minutes east of Winston.

Thanks.  I thought I was going to get over there Friday or yesterday but it'll have to wait for the week of the 28th.

Lance

I swapped the support tape on a sail to a different size today. I won't bore you with the details but it did involve a few stitches of 45 feet. The bobbin made it through a full run with 92 thread. The machine did excellent in the thickest part of the sail plus some webbing. No dropped stitches. It also did a great job pulling the sail which is no small task. 

Looking at page 65 of the repair manual it appears that I might be able to adjust the max stitch length but maybe depending on the subclass it is already maxed? Have either of you guys attempted this?

Sorry tried to upload the accompanying diagram but it was too big.

Screenshot_20230824-183140.png

Edited by Josacraw

I can't see the numbers on mine, but it will sew a little more than 3 stitches per inch. They measure right at 10 mm. Mine was a little out of adjustment on stitch length from forward to reverse. I got that adjusted pretty well now.

Does anyone have manual or a video to show how to thread a 291?