rawhider

cut, split and bevel your strings

I'm jsut wondering what some of you veteran braiders use to cut, split and bevel your strings. I do primarily rawhide work. I've been using a jerry stripper, and a hand plane to cut and split my strings. They work okay, but I've nothing to bevel them with and I want something that is a designed to do what i want.

Thanks!

I wouldn't say I'm a veteran braider but I have a knock off of the Hansen string cutter that the Hutterites traded for a bottle of vodka

I use a Hansen.

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

If you know your history, then you would know where I'm coming from!
Bob Marley - Buffalo Soldier

My brother braids lots of rawhide, and he says, "I have a Hansen that works pretty well, but I don't care for the way it bevels. My all time favorite string cutter is the Bryan Neubert Rawhide String Cutter. Bryan is an excellent rawhider, and has spent lots of time perfecting this design. His website www.bryanneubert.com and it has his phone number. He is on the road right now, but should be back in a little over a week. For skiving, I use the one from Weaver. I like the Neubert cutter better than the Hansen because you can see the top of your strings when you bevel them, so you can see how much you are taking off. It is also easier to make super fine adjustments, and is more compact."

Good Luck, Spencer and David

Anyone ever use this cutter?http://www.lacemaster.com/index.htm

I have a lace master and I use it all the time but I am new with lace I have only been working it a year or so and I have never tryed anything else.

This is the string cutter I use Wayne Jueschke out of elko made it, but I dont think he makes it any more

4_552.jpg

post-3140-1196914403_thumb.jpg

You can check out mine I made I posted a video of it on youtube.

I need to weld some feet so I can attach it to my bench. Now i just hold it in a vice.

This one is mine that I use.

cutter.jpg

A demonstration video of the beveling part of it. Raw hide is a bit different with this type of tool though. From what I have found in my use with my tool is that it is better to just cut a wider 90 and then moisten your strings and then cut the 45 or 30 degree. But I don't use raw hide strings that much.

This one is mine that I use.

cutter.jpg

A demonstration video of the beveling part of it. Raw hide is a bit different with this type of tool though. From what I have found in my use with my tool is that it is better to just cut a wider 90 and then moisten your strings and then cut the 45 or 30 degree. But I don't use raw hide strings that much.

Wow that's awesome. It's so space age looking. Is it made out of HDPE? Are you selling these?

Hi.

It's made of Delrin. Hard as steel and don't rust like steel. My friend PJ is selling them. Here's his page address if you're interested in one, PJ's Marlin Spike Shop... His email is at the bottom of the page.

Best regards,

Brian...

My operation is probably the cheapest of the lot.

Cutting lace = Lace master tandy style but not tandy prices

Splitting lace = Hand made system with full adjustability upto an inch wide laces

Beveler = None, but seriously thinking about making something from what ever I find in the next skip...

Heres a quick video of the system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NADdAuqiUkc

Gday Brian

after watching your vid i am still not sure if the lace goes under the fence or does it just rub up against it , "the part that was meant to keep your finger from being cut "