ksteers

Adler 467 questions

I have a line on an adler 467.   it is 3 phase, so could i just replace with a 110 clutch motor {or a Servo Motor before you jump all over me}:-)

I trust the elka computer just runs off of 110, but can someone clarify.

Can i just disconnect the pneumatic footlift and order a knee bar?

tx in advance.   Looking to do light to medium leather and or upholstery.        In the pics it doesnt appear to have a reverse lever on the front.  i wonder if that can be re-added in the event that , god forbid, i remove the programmable computer.

OK, let me have it folks.   thanks everyone, i have lurked on this site for years!

image.png.0fd44c625d9f6352169954e82a39ec82.png

Most of these motors were 220V 3ph,you'll usually have to keep the air cylinder & get an air switch to hook up to the lift cylinder for a foot lift.Some machines that didn't have air lift had a knee bracket on them.

My 10 cents worth . I have been pondering the servo motor versus the clutch motor for a couple of years now . I finally took the small plunge and got a servo motor . It took me all of 2 mins to realize i should have got one years ago . The clutch motor goes way too fast and even feathering the pedal it can still get away on me if i am not concentrating. I still prefer a treadle machine for detailed shoe upper work  ( yes i am old school ) but my hip gets  a bit crampy  these days ,Actually it always did . I have 12 machines and i am going to replace 6 of them with servo motors because i am impressed with their variable speed and high torque . Your machine looks a bit tired and is definitely an occupational health and safety hazard with all those cables hanging down  . By all means get the servo motor but i don't think the foot lift would be an issue unless you are doing a lot of production work  Just use the hand lever on the back till you need a foot lift . keep the air lift fitting on there just in case  you ever need it . I have an Adler 69 that has a chain to pedal lift , I think your machine might have the same set up . Have a look underneath and see if you can do it that way .  My prediction is you will use the machine till you are confident in your ability then look into getting a better one with all the bells and whistles therefore relegating the current machine as a spare . I would not invest to much money into it but only some time to clean it up and making it functional and presentable  . The machine is bullet proof but loves a good oiling .

This 467 is not the manual sewing machine you are looking for. Don’t buy it. 

The effort (and pain and suffering) involved to make this a manual machine is significant and it may not yield satisfactory results. Unless you have access to a warehouse full of vintage Durkopp Adler parts, it’s an exercise in futility.

The knee pedal is not a foot lift, by the way, it’s likely to activate the alternate walking height. Reverse is done via a little finger switch near the needle. Foot lift is via pedal heel action. The entire machine is crammed full with air cylinders and actuators. It’s a thing of beauty and functionality, but only if that’s what you’re really looking for. Otherwise it’s a nightmare.

Edited by Uwe

6 minutes ago, Uwe said:

This 467 is not the manual sewing machine you are looking for. Don’t buy it. 

The effort (and pain and suffering) involved to make this a manual machine is significant and it may not yield satisfactory results. Unless you have access to a warehouse full of vintage Durkopp Adler parts, it’s an exercise in futility.

The knee pedal is not a foot lift, by the way, it’s likely to activate the alternate walking height. Reverse is done via a little finger switch near the needle. Foot lift is via pedal heel action. The entire machine is crammed full with air cylinders and actuators. It’s a thing of beauty and functionality, but only if that’s what you’re really looking for. 

This is Precisely what i needed to hear!!   I appreciate your insights.   I am out of the running!      Machine is near GreenBay wi if anyone is interested.

Also Uwe, thank you for your wealth of knowledge you add here in this forum, as well as on YouTube!