Hidden

Pfaff 545 bobbin winder wheel stuck

Hi folks, first of all thanks for all the great content on this forum, it's been an amazing help for finding a suitable first machine.

I've picked up Pfaff 545 H3 6/01 CLPMN machine for €200, and it works! However, when I tried to wind a bobbin on the bobbin winder it didn't work very well, possibly because the wheel that drives the bobbin winder doesn't spin freely at all. Does anyone know how to remove it or get it spinning freely again? I can't find any screws or bolts to remove it.

I've considered putting some oil in the two holes next to it, but there seems to be a lot of gunk in there already, and I'd rather clean that up instead.

If you happen to spot any other glaring issues with the machine, please do let me know because I'm painfully inexperienced with sewing machines :')

top.thumb.jpg.f6184b2be4a79d8b1cc34f9d8f56651d.jpgside.thumb.jpg.bd1ab6dbf5b112a96c5084af0f0e06a7.jpginside.thumb.jpg.b82607b549fa25d533f7dc4928858147.jpg

Here's a video (apparently there is a dent in the wheel as well, which I only noticed when I recorded this video)

I've since found the parts manual for the 145 and 545 https://www.diamondneedle.com/documents/Pfaff Parts Manual/145_545.pdf

bobbin_winder_parts.png.73ae05e1e346944ee627f0751281e00e.png

This looks like the bobbin winder. From this schematic it looks like the wheel is friction fit onto the axle that you put the bobbin on when winding (91-041 063-26 here), but I'm still a little hesitant to try and pull the wheel off!

Well this was silly. I didn't notice there is a sort of brake below the wheel when the bobbin winder is not "engaged". When I push it forward, it spins okay. I probably made a different mistake when winding the bobbin. Mods, feel free to delete this thread, and I'm sure I'll be back with more silly questions :')

13 minutes ago, Hidden said:

This looks like the bobbin winder.

It maybe just the angle but in the video it appears that you have the bobbin winder up against the belt. There should be no contact of the large wheel with the belt when you are not winding the bobbin and the trip lever is in the rear position. If the large wheel is making contact adjust the base towards the front. If the wheel isn't making contact then remove the winding assembly from it's base and soak the large wheel with penetrating oil to free it up then oil it through the two holes.

kgg

That is indeed the angle - it's not touching the belt, but it's awfully close, so I might move it a little farther away. Thanks for your reply!

As long as you have a little clearance between the wheel and the belt when not winding a bobbin, you're fine.  I picked up a 545 a few months ago, if you need any help feel free to contact me either with a post or a private message.  I'm just getting into sewing as a hobby, these are great machines, parts can be pricey though.  One last thing, add a drop of oil in each hole on the bobbin winder, it will seep in and get it running even better.  Be sure to give teh machine a good cleaning and lube as well.  Greg

Greg, does the bobbin spin freely when you put it on the bobbin winder of your 545? Mine does, and I don't think it's supposed to.

A little bit of ' trivia' .  Depending on the project, I have another bobbin rewinding while  I am sewing . 

HS 

35 minutes ago, Hidden said:

Greg, does the bobbin spin freely when you put it on the bobbin winder of your 545? Mine does, and I don't think it's supposed to.

This turned out to be the issue. I've increased the distance between the circled parts and now the bobbin only spins with the axle (I have no clue what the actual names of all these parts are lol). Super obvious in hindsight but as a noob I didn't think of it before!

fix.thumb.jpg.c220000bc8c3dcba9d9754cfa4fcdcc1.jpg

Just wound my first bobbin!

You figured it out.  Actually I believe one of the manuals covers the exact issue, the solution is to spread the two parts apart with a screwdriver.  You don't want to spread them too much or they could break, however once you spread them and the bobbin holds tight, you should be good for years.  Have you been able to find an owners manual?  They can be found on-line with a little searching.  I have also found that downloading the manuals for the 1245 are beneficial, especially when trying to set timing and such.  

1 hour ago, fibersport said:

You figured it out.  Actually I believe one of the manuals covers the exact issue, the solution is to spread the two parts apart with a screwdriver.  You don't want to spread them too much or they could break, however once you spread them and the bobbin holds tight, you should be good for years.  Have you been able to find an owners manual?  They can be found on-line with a little searching.  I have also found that downloading the manuals for the 1245 are beneficial, especially when trying to set timing and such.  

I have collected a few manuals, as well as the parts lists of the 145 and 545. This particular issue is not mentioned as far as I can tell. Good tip to try the 1245 manual as well!

Next issue: missing parts. The spring and tension disks on the tension assembly were missing (see below). I've now snatched the spring and tension disks from the bobbin winder and installed those onto the tension assembly. It works, but I'll still have to order the correct parts, I think. At least I can sew in the meantime :) I'll probably end up ordering a whole new tension assembly (part number 91-009 328-91), I don't think I can find the individual missing bits.

After winding my first bobbin I've now also sewed my first stitches, which didn't look bad at all! Unfortunately the machine has a 2850rpm clutch motor, and it runs off at a million miles per hour with the lightest tap on the pedal. I'm getting a servo later this week, hoping that slows it down a bit!

missing_tension_disks.thumb.jpg.f1dfb545fd32beb4b6041ca3bf47e16b.jpgwith_bobbin_winder_tension_disks.thumb.jpg.3550582ef8a9505b3a8994abf0ca2c97.jpg

You can get complete tension assemblies for around $10 US and up on ebay.  The servo motor will help but put a 40 or 45mm pulley on the motor to really make a difference.  I also built a speed reducer for mine which helped slow down the start up speed even more. The post is titled  Questions re: DIY box style speed reducer 1 2 .My speed reducer design is on the second page.  It still isn't as slow as i want it but I think it's a limitation of my servo motor.  I sent you a private message regading the manuals.

Just installed the servo, it came with a 75mm installed but also with a 50mm pulley. Of course I immediately swapped in the 50mm :). Here's a test on the slowest speed, I'm very happy with how slow it is!