Jayhooks

cylindrical bag/dopp kit

I want to make a cylindrical dopp kit perhaps 6 x 10 inches.  How do I work out the hole spacing for sewing on the round ends onto the main body?  Hoping for maybe 4mm stitch length if that helps.  Is there a math formula or?

Thanks for the help

There is no need for calculations. Either mark the holes on the more visible part and work with an awl (detailed instructions in Stohlman's Art of Making Leather Cases, vol. 1 I believe). Or punch the holes on both parts with the same chisels and use holes twice/skip them as needed (details in Nigel Armitage's first book on leatherwork. If you are lucky, he has made a video on the subject.)

I've done several cylindrical cases.  As Klara mentions, there is no real need to calculate the spacing on the base.  Just mark the stitch holes on the outer tube while it is still laid flat, stitch it into the tube, insert the base and use an awl to make the holes through both the tube and the base at the same time.  One thing that I do now that is different from the Stohlman method is I will cut the base piece slightly larger than needed, then wet-mold it into the tube.  That way I don't have to try to poke the awl through at an angle.  I just have to make sure that I keep the awl pointed towards the center of the tube all the way around.  Here is the base of a flag case that I made a while back.

/dwight

Flag Case - Bottom.jpg

Beautiful!  How did you get the edge so nicely rounded? At first I thought it was a rolled edge, but it isn't, is it? And why does the color change exactly at the stitch line? Very, very nice!

That's simply gorgeous.  Love the stitching and the colors. Is that hand stitched?

On 9/13/2023 at 12:39 AM, Klara said:

Beautiful!  How did you get the edge so nicely rounded? At first I thought it was a rolled edge, but it isn't, is it? And why does the color change exactly at the stitch line? Very, very nice!

Not rolled.  Just beveled and burnished, then lots of polishing.  As to the color change, after beveling and burnishing I go over the edge with a dye pen.  This is all described by @hidepounder in his "Finishing Edges" post:

On 9/13/2023 at 1:01 AM, AzShooter said:

That's simply gorgeous.  Love the stitching and the colors. Is that hand stitched?

Thanks.  All hand stitched using an awl and needles.  There are still a few wobbles in the stitch line, but I'm getting better (I think).

/dwight