Lil Doodler

Tension Gauge?

Howdy!

I'm curious . . .

Does anyone use a tension gauge to measure tension from the needle or bobbin?

I think it might be handy, especially when switching to different material thickness involving changing needle sizes and thread weights.

I've seen some bobbin thread tension testing devices from TOWA that handle bigger bobbins, but nothing for a bobbin for a Juki 441 clone. I guess in the end, no matter what, you'd have to fine tune according to how you see the stitches in the material you are using.

I've used a trigger pull guage 1-1.5 Lb pull is all you need on the bobbin & around 5Lb on the top thread.

8 hours ago, Lil Doodler said:

Howdy!

I'm curious . . .

Does anyone use a tension gauge to measure tension from the needle or bobbin?

I think it might be handy, especially when switching to different material thickness involving changing needle sizes and thread weights.

I've seen some bobbin thread tension testing devices from TOWA that handle bigger bobbins, but nothing for a bobbin for a Juki 441 clone. I guess in the end, no matter what, you'd have to fine tune according to how you see the stitches in the material you are using.

I use one of these things from Amazon to set domestic bobbins to around 25 grams of pull. Not fancy but it works.

Screenshot from 2023-09-01 19-40-42.png

Thanks!

Great input/ideas

I've used a trigger pull guage 1-1.5 Lb pull is all you need on the bobbin & around 5Lb on the top thread

Mine just came in. Thanks.