Sign in to follow this  
Cumberland Highpower

Linen thread questions

I've been using Hungarian linen through my machines for a while, but I'm starting to get tired of it.  Works ok most of the time, but it's not always consistent, smooth or flattened like the old Barbour was......

Is there any alternative out there?  Any quality linen being made anywhere?   

As a 2nd question, has anyone ran an asphaltum/beeswax mix through a machine?  What were the results?  Does it streak/mar the leather?    

What type of machine, thread size, leather?  Campbell Randall has a limited selection of Barbour linen thread.

3 hours ago, TomE said:

What type of machine, thread size, leather?  Campbell Randall has a limited selection of Barbour linen thread.

3, 4, 5 cord.  Barbour closed a few years back, I think C-R only has some larger old stock threads on hand. 

Machines I'd likely run it in :Randalls, Union locks, Champion 30 and Harness Combination, Landis 16.  I woudn't mind a brown, Black or Natural color.

Mostly strap/skirting and English Bridle leather. 7/8 and 14/16.

Woud like to experiment with the tar/beeswax mix, but wanted to know if any others had some opinions before I jumped into it.

Edited by Cumberland Highpower