Sign in to follow this  
rleather

Aniline leather

I recently purchased a Venice turquoise hide, aniline tanned. How can I get the chemical smell  out of it . I have had it airing out for about a week, and it has helped somewhat. Is there a conditioner, maybe saddle soap, that anyone may have come across that can help.:coffeecomp: 

Edited by rleather

The last time I bought some like that, that  had a chemical smell I hung it outside on a rope in the hot sun for a week.

It lost quite a bit of the smell.

But it continued to smell when held close to the nose, for maybe six months afterward.

3 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

It is CHROME tanned, and ANLILINE dyed. That doesn't get rid of the smell, but does give insight to the product. Here is a link to a page that goes into details.

What Is Aniline Leather? - BestLeather.org

Correct, my thoughts did not translate very well. Thanks for catching my goof.

Edited by rleather

7 hours ago, GrampaJoel said:

The last time I bought some like that, that  had a chemical smell I hung it outside on a rope in the hot sun for a week.

It lost quite a bit of the smell.

But it continued to smell when held close to the nose, for maybe six months afterward.

I have been airing it out for almost a week, and it has greatly improved. I will try putting in the sun,thanks for the suggestion.