I recently purchased a Pfaff 138-6/21-BS and I'm looking for information I can get on the specific machine. I've been trying to figure out what it will be capable of and how I can help make it capable of chaps and maybe some lightweight tack. I've heard multiple different answers as to what thread and needles it's able to use, and I'm just wondering if I can get an answer for what it's maximum is. I also had some questions on the feet and the drop down feeds on it.

Here are my questions:

1. What are my machines maxes for thread and needles?

2. Will it be able to do sets of chaps like I'm wanting?

3. What kind of feet are available to me that would be suitable for chaps?

4. Will the drop down feeds tear of the grain side of chrome tan leather or vegtan?

5. If it does, is there anyway I can potentially avoid the problem?

Thank you so much in advance! I'm super excited to have this machine as well, as it's my very first sewing machine. I'm just starting out as an actual leather business and I'm hoping this machine will help me get started!

IMG_0362.jpeg

IMG_0361.jpeg

IMG_0360.jpeg

Edited by NatalieRyan

I once owned that same zig zag machine. I used it to sew on a leather vest I made. It is best limited to #69 or #92 bonded thread.

The machine in your photo has the wrong presser foot. You will have trouble zig-zagging with that foot, if at all. You need a wide Pfaff foot with a sideways slot that lets the needle move right and left. Perhaps the other foot is in a parts drawer. If I recall, that zig zag isn't very wide; like maybe 1/4 inch maximum.

My recollection of the machine is that it was very quiet and smooth in operation.

The feed is bottom only, which is typical in zig zag machines.

44 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

I once owned that same zig zag machine. I used it to sew on a leather vest I made. It is best limited to #69 or #92 bonded thread.

The machine in your photo has the wrong presser foot. You will have trouble zig-zagging with that foot, if at all. You need a wide Pfaff foot with a sideways slot that lets the needle move right and left. Perhaps the other foot is in a parts drawer. If I recall, that zig zag isn't very wide; like maybe 1/4 inch maximum.

My recollection of the machine is that it was very quiet and smooth in operation.

The feed is bottom only, which is typical in zig zag machines.

Thank you! I was definitely wondering about the foot. It didn't seem right to me. When we started the machine up, it runs beyond smooth and I was pleasantly surprised! I'm excited!

Presser feet have to match the feed dog. This is what you find on Ebay

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=foot+pfaff+138&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=feet+pfaff+138+&_osacat=0

but the known sewing machine dealers may have more variants.