Sign in to follow this  
Gregsleather

Tack Suppliers Help

I have been making leather goods for over 25 years and have had a lot of interest from clients over the past year and a half about making and/or repairing saddles and tack.  This area of leather work is very new to me and  I am in the process of making a matching set of a headstall, breast collar, and spur leathers.  I had ordered some of the hardware early on but found that I was short on a few items.  The problem I have is no matter where I go (i.e. buckleguy, Weaver, Springfield, Tandy, etc.) I find that most carry some things but I have been unable to find a place that has ALL items in the sizes that I need.  For instance I am using a 3" ring, 1 1/4" D rings, 1" heavy duty snaps, and an assortment of different sized roller buckles, strap buckles, and square rings.  This is a little different hardware that I normally operate.  I can find everything but I have to use a few different suppliers and if you add in shipping that all adds up pretty quick.

So does anyone have a supplier that carries all kinds of saddle and tack hardware with a huge assortment of sizes?

You mentioned Weaver, I have used Weaver for over 16 years, and find that they have almost all of the items I need.  However, they are reluctant to give you wholesale prices if you don't do over $1200 of orders in a year.  If you haven't already done so, you need to order a catalog from them to see everything they carry.  Internet searches for them missed a lot of items.  Springfield Leather is another company that is starting to ramp up their inventory.  Good Luck.

Ron

I buy stamped stainless bridle buckles and stud hooks from Weaver, and most of my heavy brass halter hardware from Batz Corp.  Abbey England has unique, high quality hardware for English tack but shipping is REALLY expensive, so I usually treat myself to a tool to justify the shipping cost. :)