EDDD

Should I Buy? Seized Singer 29k60 Treadle

I have the opportunity to purchase a seized Singer with the base. I’ve never had a sewing machine before so I have no idea if it’s worth trying to fix it.

some background. It’s from an old cobbler in a small town who’s going blind. He has a small shop that he is eventually going to part with. For now all he had for sale was this. I left him my number. He has more working machine (one with an oil sump or something like that)

5HUClpZ3cOHC.jpg?o=1

This machine is a shoe and boot "patcher." Do you plan to work on shoes and boots (uppers only)? It can also be used to sew patches onto vest pockets and jacket sleeves without closing the pockets or sleeves. Do you intend to go into the patch sewing business? Another thing these are good for is repairing looe purse strap tabs on the sides of purses. The narrow nose can get inside where no other machine can go. Will you be repairing purses and pouches. One more task the long arm patcher can handle is sewing cue cases, or other cylindrical otems, up the arm (I call it sewing up the snout).

If you answered yes to one or more of those questions, it is worth your trouble to haul it home, fix the cause of the seizure, and put it to work.

Please note, that despite its robust appearance, this is a light to medium duty manual sewing machine that is entirely fed by the presser foot. The foot rotates around 360 degrees and has aggreesive teeth to grab the work and pull it to form stitches. The teeth will leave very noticeable marks on veg-tan leather.

Seems like it’s mostly a specialized machine. 

im mostly working with veg tan. Small goods.  Wallets, coasters, bags, belts. So maybe this wouldn’t be very beneficial to me.

it is only 2 blocks away from my house and is being sold for $75

44 minutes ago, EDDD said:

Seems like it’s mostly a specialized machine. 

im mostly working with veg tan. Small goods.  Wallets, coasters, bags, belts. So maybe this wouldn’t be very beneficial to me.

it is only 2 blocks away from my house and is being sold for $75

For that price it's one of those you'd crazy not to get it for a just in case situation. You'll never lose money selling it down the road later on.

$75 really is not much money and this is a large hook machine and that makes it a really interesting machine. A lot of parts are still available for the 29K60 but not all. The 29K60 has a lot parts in common with the later 29K72 but there are some differences. What I can see in the picture is that the machine at least needs a new shuttle hook + bobbin and a needle plate and its hinge screw. Everything else seems to be there.

AFAIK, needle plate is the same as for the 29K72 and the hooks is the same anyway. I`m not sure about the screw for the needle plate (29K72 has a pin instead) but it could be the same as for the Adler 30 machines.

29K60 parts list and and manual are available online for free. If you can´t find em send me a PM.

Edited by Constabulary

75 bucks ??  buy it. fix it. play with it, then decide to sell or keep.

:17::16:

Buy it, then; forego coffees from Starbucks and choccy bikkies for a couple of weeks

Ya never know when ya might want or need one

cheap price.  buy it.  It can be rebuilt.  parts are available.  Big bobbin long arm most desired of shoe patchers.

glenn

12 hours ago, Constabulary said:

$75 really is not much money and this is a large hook machine and that makes it a really interesting machine. A lot of parts are still available for the 29K60 but not all. The 29K60 has a lot parts in common with the later 29K72 but there are some differences. What I can see in the picture is that the machine at least needs a new shuttle hook + bobbin and a needle plate and its hinge screw. Everything else seems to be there.

AFAIK, needle plate is the same as for the 29K72 and the hooks is the same anyway. I`m not sure about the screw for the needle plate (29K72 has a pin instead) but it could be the same as for the Adler 30 machines.

29K60 parts list and and manual are available online for free. If you can´t find em send me a PM.

Thanks I’ll have to do some reading. Hopefully in a month I’ll post some rebuild pictures of it sewing. 

Just got it working! I still need to fine tune it (you can hear some weird grinding towards the end) and find a proper 3/16-28 needle plate screw.

for others wondering how I got it working. I disassembled. Soaked all of it in diesel for 3 days. Hand wire brushed with copper then stainless steel. Cleaned then oiled. Reassembled. Marvel mystery (mineral oil)  seemed to do a decent job at lubricating and removing/covering some of the rust. 

it was really seized from all the rust, dirt, and old grease. 

Video of my 29K60

Edited by EDDD

Most excellent. Thanks for 'reporting' back in with your news

If scrap prices would go up a little it would scrap out for $75. 

I use my 29-18 for everything. Isn’t a place I can’t lay a stitch. Highly recommend. Shoes to backpacks, and everything in between. 

IMG_4758.jpeg

IMG_0408.jpeg

IMG_0393.jpeg

Edited by Garyak