SpruceMoose

Standard Guitar strap hole size?

Gearing up to make guitar straps, it's been quite a few years since i've made any and I'm having trouble with googling it and getting clear answers.

I'm looking for the size of the hole I should make,  standard size of the button hardware on guitars(are electric and acoustic generally the same?)

The photo attached seems to be the standard size, but i'd like to check.

Thanks in advance!

51u3VQ3vHKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by SpruceMoose

While there are tools available commercially to punch a hole and slot, I had one made by a tool and die maker. All you need is a 1/4 inch hole punch and a 3/4 inch chisel with a sharp point. Punch the hole first. Then place the chisel blade just inside the edge of the hole facing up the strap. Line up the punch dead center from the hole along the center line of the strap, then punch the slot and you should be set.

51 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

While there are tools available commercially to punch a hole and slot, I had one made by a tool and die maker. All you need is a 1/4 inch hole punch and a 3/4 inch chisel with a sharp point. Punch the hole first. Then place the chisel blade just inside the edge of the hole facing up the strap. Line up the punch dead center from the hole along the center line of the strap, then punch the slot and you should be set.

Much appreciated!

Let us see how it came out when you finish it!

13 minutes ago, Kutari said:

Let us see how it came out when you finish it!

Will do, it will be a few weeks before i start new ones, tis the season for getting a little back logged on orders. These are a side project, side projects keep me sane from doing repetitive designs lol

Here's one from 5-6 years ago

Cheers

Cooper's Hawk uitar Strap.jpg

There are different types of hardware that are installed on the guitar and on the guitar strap to make them quick connect. Go into any music shop and tell them you want the hardware for quick connection for guitar straps. They come with instructions that tell you the drill size you will need.

Most guitarist will have more than just one or two guitars. Having a quick connect system will be wanted so multiple straps will fit multiple guitars.

13 hours ago, Doc Reaper said:

There are different types of hardware that are installed on the guitar and on the guitar strap to make them quick connect. Go into any music shop and tell them you want the hardware for quick connection for guitar straps. They come with instructions that tell you the drill size you will need.

Most guitarist will have more than just one or two guitars. Having a quick connect system will be wanted so multiple straps will fit multiple guitars.

I like the idea, i looked up the hardware, but i would rather let the customer deal with that to be honest, as there are many brands out there, and if I had a nice guitar i would want what i know to be good hardware not let someone else choose it.

Similar to, at one point I thought of including the hardware for rifle straps, but i'd rather just make the strap standard and go from there. 

Plus keep the material costs down lol

On 10/9/2023 at 9:40 AM, SpruceMoose said:

Will do, it will be a few weeks before i start new ones, tis the season for getting a little back logged on orders. These are a side project, side projects keep me sane from doing repetitive designs lol

Here's one from 5-6 years ago

Cheers

Cooper's Hawk uitar Strap.jpg

My God... this is absolutely beautiful. There is definately nothing else like this that exists in the world. How did you do all the images? Did you do them on paper first then traced them on? and the trees!! I have no idea how you got that detail on there.

1 hour ago, Kutari said:

My God... this is absolutely beautiful. There is definately nothing else like this that exists in the world. How did you do all the images? Did you do them on paper first then traced them on? and the trees!! I have no idea how you got that detail on there.

Thanks! This is an older piece , so i couldn't tell you the exact stamps used, just basic backgrounder, checkered beveler.trees don't have any dimension, i now use a veiner stamp to get good branch depth, and also now use small mule foot stamps for feathers, and leaf liner stamp for feather detailing. And swivel knife for little details

I just draw the initial outline based on field guide/anatomy books. Trace my outline with pencil on quality tracing paper. Rub the penciled side on my dry, pre cut leather. Then case and tool from there.

Al Stohlman books on pictoral carving has great info. 

Edited by SpruceMoose