Sign in to follow this  
Ana1234

Pressing thick seam

Hello, I'm sewing a bag using very thick faux leather and the layers are building up... Any ideas on how to make the bag less bulky on the outside? How can I press it without using a hot iron? Which tools do you use to get flat seams, to get rid of the bulky look? 

Thanks! 

There is the classic cobbler's hammer with it's smooth convex face that works well for leather. I would assume one would have to be very careful smoothing seems on faux leather, I've worked with some, high grade marine vinyl etc, and sometimes such coaxing i found to rip/stretch the needle holes a bit

you skive the edges thinner where the seams meet using a skiver. 

42 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

you skive the edges thinner where the seams meet using a skiver. 

That would be tricky on manmade material like pleather. I've tried skiving Naugahyde, to no avail. It just chewed up the back side. Still, it may be worth a tyry if the OP has access to somebody with a band knife skiver.

2 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

That would be tricky on manmade material like pleather. I've tried skiving Naugahyde, to no avail. It just chewed up the back side. Still, it may be worth a tyry if the OP has access to somebody with a band knife skiver.

i missed that I'm used to leather questions I guess. There surely must be a way if its thick enough.

6 hours ago, Ana1234 said:

Hello, I'm sewing a bag using very thick faux leather and the layers are building up... Any ideas on how to make the bag less bulky on the outside? How can I press it without using a hot iron? Which tools do you use to get flat seams, to get rid of the bulky look? 

Thanks! 

If there is a Tandy Leather store near you, shaver blade and is used to thin the flesh side of leather belts at the turnback area where the buckle goes.some of your pleather in and ask to try their hand held skiving tool. It uses a small razor blade to skive (thin) leather belts at the fold for the buckle. Maybe it will work on your pleather.