ksteers

Singer 145W? Mystery

I recently picked up a singer 145W204, and I need to time the left hook. The first instruction is to bring it to zero stitch length. The first instruction is to depress the top knurled knob on top and then depressing the button on the bed as well; my machine doesn’t look like the singer manual pic. Can somebody help demystify this ?   there’s no knurled knob and no access plate on the front as pictured in the manual.    Perhaps this is not a singer.   I have located the screw with the S next to it; get a sense that plays into this as well.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cQ4F8JT.jpg8gd0z8J.jpgHOMta7v.jpg

Since you don't have that knob on top it might be a 145W202 here's a manual for it.

144w102.pdf

Wow.  Thank you so much.  And of course i am missing the spindle in the handwheel.  But it looks like Toledo Ind Sewing has the part    Fingers crossed.  Hoping it has threads on it to go in my threaded handwheel.  

image.thumb.jpeg.3c9d53b306a6e4d814646b19f4774dfd.jpeg

7 hours ago, ksteers said:

Hoping it has threads on it to go in my threaded handwheel.  

The spindle doesn't have any threads. What it does have is a round tab inside one side of the cap on the end. That tab fits in the threads cut into the back of the top shaft. If those threads are intact, when you screw in the spindle you may have to loosen the cap and inside screws that have a very strong, small spring with a stud or ball bearing on the end. There is also another screw on the opposite side of the housing in the top of the head. It sets the maximum stitch length. The process is to determine which side has the cap screw. Remove it, then unscrew the inside screw with the spring until it is almost out. Rotate the shaft so you can get to the other screw and back it out. Now you should be able to twist in the spindle shaft. With it in all the way, screw down the spring loaded screw, then secure it with the cap screw. Set the maximum stitch length with the screw on the opposite side of that housing; usually between 4 and 5 stitches per inch. Now, you can screw the cap on the spindle out to shorten the stitches, or back in to lengthen them again.

You might try adjusting the length by turning these screws,not all machines take the spindle either,are there threads on the end of the shaft?

111w stitch length adl old style 001.jpg

Thanks both of you very much for your explanations and attachments, but I’m not sure this is adding up I’m gonna insert some pictures here. The threads in the end by the hand wheel are like screw threads almost quarter 20 but not, and it is not abundantly clear, where the heck the spring And ball bearing dealio are or are they on the other end of the Main shaft marked with an S ?

thank you for your patience

I just stuck a toothpick in the threaded hole and it is only 7/8 inch deep.  and a dead end, unless i am an idiot.   Still not sure of the model, honestly.  currently thinking 145w201, which is why i posted a pic of the whole Shebang.  currently stitching about 5 spi.   perhaps i just live with it for now.   and try to time the hook as is?

PwZsJly.jpgr3J63km.jpgZfGpWmh.jpgwYwjwF9.jpg

Edited by ksteers
further details

Ok,they had 3 styles of stitch length on this model,I was shooting in the dark w/o any pics so here's a ,manual that show how to adjust the length.Look @ page 13 

144w103.pdf

Hallelujia!   mystery solved.   Kudos Bob!      And it seems to be the easier of the other methods for these beasts.

Thanks to this whole community.   I have learned So much lurking in the shadows.  Cheers

Awesome!  How is she stitching?

I adjusted and timed both hooks, need to polish the left hook for sure, but the right sews as it should!   still removing filth currently.  

how horrific is it to replace the pull-up lever on a Singer 145?   one of the holes is rubbish and the thread will saw clear through in the near future.   i may try running both threads through the same pull-up lever hole, as this was clearly run as a single needle for much of its life.

now i am off to polish a hook, in place.   fun stuff.  I am enjoying the challenge